Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiper motor ideas needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kscarguy, Jun 22, 2012.

1. kscarguy

kscarguy

On my 1941 ford COE, the wiper motors mount above the windshields. I have the original motors and was going to have them rebuilt, but have been told they may be warped. To rebuild them and buy the wiper arm setup is about $280.

Anyone have any ideas for cost effective wiper setup?

2. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

39 Ford Deluxe sedan, same location. No problem installing a make/model specific Newport wiper motor assembly. Google them. Fits great, works as designed and easy install.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Hit the local truck wrecking yard. Grab a pair of American Bosch electric motors used in many school bus & HD trucks.

4. Specialty Power Window makes a kit I've used in several projects with flip open windshield. I have on for the 36 Ford truck I'm getting ready to build. I like the way they install and work. Also running one in the 51 Vicky I drive most of the time. It's a very good product.
    The Wizzard

5. Look at rear wiper motors where the wiper arm mounts straight to the motor shaft (back and forth motion rather than full circle motion with a bellcrank). I used one from a Mitsubishi hatchback on my '38 Ford pickup. Many other Asian makes use the same or similar Nippondenso wiper motor, also found on Jeep Cherokees. With the Mitsubishi rear wiper motor I used, the old Ford wiper arm fits the shaft!

6. kscarguy

kscarguy

With the mitsubishi motor, did the wiper arm move the proper arc?

7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Like flathead guy said use Newport. I use them, they have an excellent product that is truely bolt in. You will be satisified with their product. Just my 2 cents worth

8. kscarguy

kscarguy

I talked to Newport this morning and we compared the 1938 Ford mounting hole width to the COE. 22-1/4" vs 24". Not going to work. They actually have a COE cowl at their shop, but do not have plans anywhere in the near future to build the system to fit.

9. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Junkyard older toyota landcruiser i think fj40 model cable drive works great.

10. bgaro

bgaro

early vw bug?

11. Cheap way out is the rear window wiper motors from any small SUV or minivan.

12. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a thread on here about using MG cable drive set up and towers. I got a complete setup out of a midget for less than $100. I don't know how long the cable is, though.

13. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I used the motor out of a S10 blazer (rear).....got the info from

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299143

I ended up using a 57 and earlier VW wiper arm and blade. I only used one arm....not like my truck is fond of the rain.

14. The arc was about right with the Mitsubishi motor. If you open the gear case, the eccentric link can be hooked into either of two holes in the gear. One gives you a 90 degree sweep, the other gives you 110. 90 does the trick for my '38 Ford pickup.

15. kscarguy

kscarguy

I wonder if I can use the wiper transmission towers from a 51-55 ford and bolt them into the roof above the windshield? It looks like that would be easy. If I did this, can I find short wiper arms to fit those towers?

16. chevy3755

chevy3755

great stuff guys......thank you

17. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Rain-X works on my old daily driven A model.....