Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Deuce question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLUSHU, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Am I missing something here?
    In the current classifieds there is a 32 Ford Cabrio, Henry steel body, sbc, etc..
    From what I can see it looks to be a pretty decent 32 for a decent price.
    The add has been up since Oct. 5th, three weeks already?
    I thought all Deuces were the Holy Grail & commanded sky high prices.
    Is the Cabrio the black sheep or something?
    Moderators: if this is inappropriate feel free to kick it to the curb, just curious why someone hasn't snatched this car up.

2. I've been watching the ad. No black sheep to me. With some work on the windshield and top they can be really neat. I've wondered how many cabriolet only parts are included/missing to get this neat car finished.

Phil

3. I don't understand why the classifieds have become such a hot topic as of late.

I think the reason no one has snapped it up is because like me they don't have the money, If I was flush with cash I would have negotiated with the owner the day it was posted and the price is appealing. HRP

4. You would probably get a better response if you included a link to the ad you are asking about.

Charlie Stephens

continentaljohn and LOU WELLS like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It's Ryan's fault .:D He started the feature classifieds on a couple of trucks. Some is parts browsing and noting there are some gold plated prices without the gold .:oops:

6. Cabrio’s are not that desirable in my opinion. Also 4 bar, tube axle, automatic are all negatives for me. All of that and a soft market equal hard sell. Car does look good. May have to change my ways!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    timwhit and Nailhead Jason like this.
  7. Sorry, didn't know if the moderators were gonna let this thread live.
    Check the classifieds, not to many 32 Cabrios on there.
    Kind of an interactive thread.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. I've seen some "good deals", in my opinion, that don't last more than a couple days on here.
    I'm used to seeing 29-31 for this kind of price.

9. Why is the roadster more appealing than the cabriolet?
    To the average enthusiast (me) they look the same.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Open Car Body Styles In 1932 Are Equal To A Person Who Enjoys The Design... 10628848-1932-ford-roadster-std-c.jpg

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

It’s the hard mounted, ugly windshield posts, gaping open holes in the door tops and quarter panels that look ugly to me.

B8BBBFE0-63F3-4E25-A276-0BED062756E5.jpeg

nochop likes this.
  12. Fordors

Fordors

Well at least with the Cabriolet you could enjoy A/C if you wanted it, or for sure a nice ride home in a pouring rain and heat if the day was cold too. Some would enjoy the distinctiveness too, half as many Cabriolets were built in '32 compared to Roadsters and while there were a couple different fiberglass Cabroilets marketed the numbers a VERY far short of the 'glass Roadsters out there. Different strokes for different folks.

13. The roadster is far more desirable, for a casual observer the do look similar, but the Cabriolet has roll up windows, a fixed windshield and a top that folds down, the problem with that is the top folds down inside of the body, a toll person like myself is ok as long as the top is up, with it down you loose a lot of room.

The roadster is bare bones, you ether lay the top back on the body or take it off, the windshield will lay back and there are no windows, although you cam have side curtains made.

Cabriolets are sensible, roadsters are not, but 99% of hot rodders are not sensible and count me in that bunch, everyone I have ever know that owns a cabriolet are a lot shorter than me. HRP

41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

First 1932 Ford I ever saw live was a '32 Cabriolet with a HEMI some time around 1962 at Compo Beach. Friend totally restored one in the 1970's and won Hershey, I like them. The perfect one is in storage in Massachusetts. Bob

15. Well, I was pretty ginned up about this car, and corresponded with the seller, Brent, who sent lots of pics and answered a bunch of questions. The car came from an estate sale in Arizona. I bailed when the 40 coupe, that I bought for a little less money, came up.
    Here are my feelings on it:
    Yes, it is an original, rare 32 body (5800) and the rust free repro sheet metal was a plus. Fit up looked pretty good. Drive train was OK for me. It has a lot of good pieces like the stainless top irons.
    BUT....
    1. Some previous owner had taken what looked to be a nice frame and "modified" it. Looked like the body would need to come off to fix the wrong.
    2. No steering column, only a shaft coupled to the older Mustang box.
    3. No instrument panel in the dash.
    4. But the big no-no's were NO Cabriolet window frames ($$$), no garnish moldings ($$$) and no seat pan ($$$) for the new seat springs. None of these are repro'd and high dollar if you can find them. The missing window regs and door latch mechanisms were not as serious and could be sourced.
    5.The pins that locate the top header to the windshield are missing. Not reproed and would have to be custom fabbed. ($$$)
    6. With Lebanon Bonney out of business, a top would have to be custom made ($$$)
    I was ready to make an offer when BAM! up popped the 40, complete, running, and with a straight forward, well engineered build. Close but no cigar.
    If I could sell my 33 coupe, I would be a buyer for that cab in a heartbeat.
    But it's another project, and I've got enough.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Roadster VS Cabriolet

Roadster; no windows for rain or wind control...wife bitching like hell.

Cabriolet; rollup windows to control rain and wind...wife still bitching...just not as much.

PS that DOES seem like a great buy on that Deuce.

17. Truthfully I've only sat in one 32 roadster & I think it was a stretched Brookville.
    The Deuce has always been on my radar since A.G., but were always out of reach and hardly ever seen let alone for sale.
    All my cars were 50's to early 70's muscle car stuff.
    I'm 5'9" & have been in a chopped & channelled 31 coupe & it was snug so I can see that a fold down roof would make it tighter.
    When someone says hot rod it's the first car that comes to mind, hold the fenders please.

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When you are a true car guy and have been around for awhile, you will notice when cars priced high and when cars are priced low. You pass the info to people who are looking. Sometimes they bite and sometimes they don`t. You will learn what they like and when they are blowing smoke. I have found at least 6 cars for a couple people I know. People often ask me if it`s a good deal or not. I tell them my honest answer. You can tell when people don`t know a thing about the prices of cars. It`s all about what is in your budget. To me the best deal in the classifieds is the 40 Mercury 4-dr convertible(Michigan) priced at 23,000. Down from 40. Sorry, don`t know how to post a link. It might be sold, or should be.

19. clem

clem

Only the body is original steel, not hood, grille or guards, so value may be viewed as less.

Yes, - Probably to most, but they can still look okay.

20. clem

clem

Yes, just not so high for the fordors and Cabriolets...........

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me, If I had the coin to buy it and spring for some of the work that I didn't want to do myself it would be the makings of a nice road burner. I've done my last road trip without AC and the automatic would make my left knee real happy. The front axle is just unbolt one and put it up for sale an bolt in the one I already have. Not anywhere close to a deal killer because it has the tube axle as that unbolts. The suspect mods to the frame and the missing Cabriolet only pieces that HotrodA mentioned are probably slowing things down plus you can bet that there probably a few who have stepped up on efforts to sell off a rig or two to have the cash.
    Throw in the fact that 19 day of being for sale and having one known serious bite on it isn't an excessive amount of time.

hotrodA and clem like this.
  22. I've seen the car in person. It's a great piece to have.

Two, and more importantly .... Brent is about the most straightforward and qualified guy to talk to, in regards to it. Old school, retired, honest guy, that can do just about anything.

Had a great Mercury coupe ... that sold here, and still owns his dad's high school '29 Model A coupe hot rod. If it wasn't for his desire to get that car done ... he'd keep the Cabriolet and get it all cherried out.

Would love to be him.

23. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are some nice examples of Cabriolet hot rods on the HAMB. The one in the ad seems like a decent buy to me.

As for size - I’m 5’11” and I fit just fine with the top down.

My car has no seat slider (hard mounted) and a thin seat cushion. It’s not as roomy as my prior brookville roadster - but it’s not cramped at all. It’s more roomy and comfortable than my ‘41 truck and much better than a small model A.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. alchemy

alchemy

I'm a 32 guy through and through. I saw the ad and think the body looks like a nice start, but the chassis would require a total rework to fit my tastes. A small block Chevy, four bars, and coilovers are not my thing. The price is just a bit high of fair deal in my neighborhood. YMMV.

hotrodA likes this.
  25. Give me a 4 door any day of the week, I've had 2 of them and if the right deal came along tomorrow I would own my 3rd. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They don't have an award called "Americas Most Beautiful Cabriolet"! :cool:

41 GMC K-18 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. Roadsters are always going to be cool. Gotta' love 'em.

I also love Cabriolets. Dave Simard owns the baddest old school hot rod Cab' on the planet. It's stashed with no engine, in his shop ... for years now.

There's pictures here somewhere. May even be the one, Bob referred to as in storage.

With top up, slanted posts, and windows up or down. Bitch'n. With top down, or off ... the doors had little upholstered plugs, that matched the interior. Snaps on the inside.

Would love to be him.

EDIT :

Here's the Simard Cab' ...

Screenshot_20191025-150605_Google.jpg

... and here is another fellow, also "enamored" with '32 Cabriolets. >>>>>> :)

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bill-coxs-cab.1002598/

Fav'.

catdad49 and The37Kid like this.