Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Another serial number question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cougstang, Oct 21, 2019.

1. cougstang

cougstang
    from Illinois

I know it has been asked a million times but I can not find a straight answer. The truck is a 47 Ford COE. I found the serial number on the frame but the state wants two things that match the serial number. I know the glove box door has a tag on it but the door is missing. There is also supposed to be one on either the trans or bellhousing. Which is it and can you see it without pulling the trans out. Thanks for any info.

2. alchemy

alchemy

A 47 would have it at the top of the transmission case. You should be able to see it if you remove the toeboard. It might also be a couple other places stamped on the top of the left frame rail. Passenger cars have it stamped about halfway back and again above the rear axle. Maybe trucks do the same?

Be aware that transmissions get replaced sometimes, so the number might not match.

cougstang likes this.
  3. cougstang

cougstang
    from Illinois

Thanks Alchemy, I will try to check it out tomorrow.

4. If it was a 3 speed it would be stamped on a boss at the top center of the bell housing. You might start by looking there. It may be visible through the access plate or you may have to remove the toe toeboard.

Charlie Stephens IMG_1594.jpeg

cougstang likes this.