Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We build and drive these cars every day but -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 16, 2019.

1. ken bogren

ken bogren

When my 63 Falcon is 63 'll still be 17 years older than it!

2. wicarnut

wicarnut

I like many enjoy/enjoyed driving my old cars, I have never used a old hobby car as a daily driver ever and now I'm OLD, definitely enjoy my late model factory Hot Rods and daily driver SUV. My Mercury is pretty comfortable and that's why I went to it after my 32 that was my dream ride, age, health changes many things and will enjoy hobby till my end, just in a different manner. The car Hobby has served me well, no regrets and as I always state, I'm a Lucky man.

john W. and dirty old man like this.
  3. butch27

butch27

I'm still climbing into this---time for a car with doors---convertable

Driver50x and dirty old man like this.
  4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That’s a fantastic idea Danny

5. Just think you need to be standing on a corner in a bigger city with a megaphone - to get your message across - and you be considerate of those having to wade through your thoughts.

6. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One hat please. Okay, make it two.

7. '66 truck getting painted and I miss it! Sold my OT GMC and when I need a truck, this is it! I like the '46 as same age as me. We understand each other. My wife always picks the '63 Falcon when I ask her, which one!

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Everything I drive is old. My newest daily driver is my '69 Suburban, so it's 51 years old, and still going strong. The other two are my '39 Chev coupe, and my '37 Austin sedan. When I take a trip in any of them and make a stop for gas or food, I constantly have people asking questions. But the thing that seems to shock most of them is how far from home I am with an old car! It's like they think nobody should leave town with a car over 10 yrs. old.

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

I think about how old our cars are when I see posts from the kids like Vinny Harms or Boden. They are interested in cars way older than they are. I do the math and think about what an 80 year old car was like when I was that age. They were not available - horse drawn carriages. Then I think if I had an interest in fixing up a horse drawn carriage; where would I find replacement parts? We casually give them a reply to their query with a "an exhaust manifold from a '52 Willys should work". It's not easy for these guys.

LAROKE likes this.
  10. Most of the cars we drive were built before the Interstate Road System. Even the '50s era cars. They got driven all over the country.

[​IMG]

Driver50x, Elcohaulic and Ned Ludd like this.
  11. cfmvw

cfmvw

My '60 VW hotrod is 60 years old! Last summer when I was putting gas in it, a couple of kids asked me where the motor was, so I popped the engine lid to show them. They'd never heard of a car with a motor in the back, and asked me why I put it there.

61Cruiser, Driver50x and Gotgas like this.
  12. LOL the old V-dub joke. Open the bonnet no motor. Someone says, "hey they stole your motor!!!" "That's OK there is a spare in the trunk" :D

Driver50x, cfmvw and Papas32 like this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

The newest vehicle I ever bought was a year old when we bought it. That vehicle is now 17 years old. I have difficult time understanding that it is no longer a new car, its still "a new car" to me. Anything built during this century is a new vehicle to me, and those cars are 21 years old now. Things change, time marches on, weather we like it or not.

I consider myself pretty lucky to go to the local pull a part and fine parts for my "new" car. I've upgraded parts of my coupe to use parts off a "newer" 1990s vehicle, even those 25+ year old parts are getting hard to find! Gene

LAROKE likes this.
  14. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Let's see....a 70 year old, 2 that are 87 and a 90 year old that are all reliable drivers. Not going to talk about the projects that I'll probably never get done.

15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

It hit me one day I was sitting at the mall waiting for my wife and watching the women walk by. It used to be the teens when I was a teen, then it was the mothers and today I catch myself looking for the grandmothers HAHA!!

trikejunkie and Driver50x like this.
  16. Since I started driving an old car daily again recently, it is funny at times to see folks expressions when they get passed on the interstate by a 60 year old car...every day. :D

chopnchaneled likes this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Only time it’s really crossed my mind is when I realized my current project would likely be 100 years old before it’s finished. Feels like a crushing deadline now lol

WB69 and guthriesmith like this.
  18. It's just an old truck...

19. Hmm....My Coupe is 87yrs old, engine is 60yrs old, trans is 60ish years old. Only thing remotely new is the tires and tubes, shocks, seat belts. But, i wouldn't have it any other way! My NON-car friends think i'm nuts, but their new cars are always in the shop for something. Usually computer or sensor involved.

guthriesmith likes this.
  20. I drive mine everyday, unless it rains. Drove my Merc everyday, for 8yrs, then my 38 Pickup, my 60 Pickup, and my 66 Bug. My 03 Ford Van is the newest vehicle i've owned in 30yrs. It's not about how old as much as it is the condition. The thing about old cars is, they're running cause YOU keep the running. Not cause some kid plugged them into their laptop...

Petejoe likes this.
  21. The way I look at it is, I LOVE!!! old cars, and I don't want to just OWN them. I want to experience them. I've had alot of cars and have driven all of them.

NWRustyJunk and guthriesmith like this.
  22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I grew up driving on Belgium block streets with trolley tracks.. Pontiac was smart, they made there "widetrack" just outside of the trolley tracks where the street was usually smooth and those Pontiacs could cruise right along without a bump in the world lol..

It wasn't bad though. Those big old cars with those soft Bias Ply tires floated down the street as smooth as could be. It was real nice driving back then, people weren't in a big fat hurry, nobody had insurance so everybody watched out real good because they didn't have the money to fix the other guys car and there own. I truly miss they way it was.

I used to buy big Pontiacs. I had almost every year Bonneville that came out and a few of Grand Prix. I had a 64 GP with a 421 that was loaded except AC,,

Notice all the trolleys, they ran all day long every half an hour, you could set your watch to them and they were fast, usually they were waiting for the slower cars to get out of the way lol... Pittsburgh was the center of the worlds industry back then along with Cleveland, Gary and Detroit.. They had to make sure the workers could get to work on time comfortably. I remember how nice those trolleys were.

1965 penn and main.jpg east liberty 1965.jpg Larmer ave 1966.png northside 1964.jpg Northside 1966.jpg Penn and fifth ave 1966 Lairmar.png pittsburgh 1961.png pittsburgh 1961.png pittsburgh 1966 3.png south side 1962.png Town 1968.png

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Driver50x likes this.