Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs which car would you have saved?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Sep 3, 2017.

1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

When better cars were built, Buick built them!!!

2. I never owned a Buick car, but I had a 54 Century engine with a 3 speed, in a 47 Chev, and that engine was indestructible. I over revved it once, (missed a shift), and the valve kissed the piston blowing everything apart above the piston pin bosses. There wasn't a scratch in the cylinder. I put in a new piston, and I was good to go. The nailheads were my favourite engine ever.
    Bob

Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. while working on the valve covers I found out these were held on using studs and nuts. I was told 54 was the only year that the nail head did this. all of the others used two bolts to hold the covers on.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  4. and for the record, this screw is left hand threaded. I tried and tried to get it off gently. sometimes a stuck bolt will come loose by trying to tighten it, so I turned it clockwise. it gave a snap and turned, I thought I broke it. I twisted it back and forth and then realized it was not normal. IMG_8118.JPG

5. The one that all the numbers matched....body went down the road but still have most all the numbers stuff...it was the 80's and we never thought it would be a big deal....also my 1956 frame with a little Hemi engine modification....could have fixed that - it was the original for my Fury but my parts car had a stout 277/overdrive - so that's what went under it.

6. update on the little 54, I put brake fluid in the master and it ran right out. I put it on the lift and found a newer piece of brake line someone spliced in with a compression fitting. the line was rusty, as were all the lines. I removed all the steel lines and started replacing them all. IMG_9270.JPG IMG_9271.JPG

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ve seen that done before, sometimes it works, sometimes it leaks. I always replaced them when I found them too.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  8. the 1954 is sold, heading to Long Island. IMG_0309.jpg

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^ Nice Christmas present for both of you! Merry Christmas. Bob

10. merry Christmas!

kidcampbell71 and biggeorge like this.
  11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Whats next? Back to your other cars? got pics?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  12. still want to find a Buick motor for the 31 coupe I have.