Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods USA made brake drums for 1957 Chevy cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by runningiron, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Are there any vendors that sell USA made brake drums for 1957 Chevy passenger car?

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not that I'm aware of and there are both good and bad Chinese made. The EPA has caused almost all foundries in the US to close, so China is the place where most casting is done now. I have had two different cars that have 57 rear ends under them and both had a high speed vibration that I eventually determined to be out of balance drums.

While troubleshooting the last one, I was talking to my tire guy and he loaned me an old bubble balancer to check them with. Sure enough, both were badly out of balance. I ordered a pair of Bendix drums through Summit and both were in balance. Problem solved.

Here is the deal. You can get quality parts out of China IF the company that is bringing them into the US has good quality processes in place. Apparently, Bendix does. Don't trust BrakeBest. If you can borrow or buy a bubble balancer, you can check them before installing them and it's easy to do.

3. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Have you tried Danjunk?

4. rockable, thanks for the info.

rockable likes this.

5. 56shoebox, thanks. I'll check with Danjunk. Ha..ha. never heard them referred like that.