Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stolen VIN numbers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gettingreasy, Dec 6, 2003.

1. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

Is there away(or a web site)were I can cheack the VIN of something to make sure it's not hot? I imagine if you went to the DMV they wouln't tell you or they would want to know why your asking and were the car is(send up a perverbial red flag). I would hate to buy an old car/bike engine then come to find out that the VIN is no good, or when I need to get it inspected have it impouned and seized from me(then I'd be out the money/time it took to get it on the road).
    -Jesse

2. Kustm52

Kustm52

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Usually there is a cop who will believe my story that I bought/want to buy something with no title. He will run a NCIC check. I suppose he will want to confiscate the stuff if it is stolen but that is a LOT better than going to jail. So far, I've never gotten anything stolen.

4. Jesse,

If the vehicle has not been registered, titled or reported stolen in five years or better your chances of getting it titled with those numbers are pretty good. The Arizona DMV changed computer systems about then and did not have the resources to transfer all the old information about stolen vehicles and abandoned vehicles.

With the abundance of stolen vehicle reporting here in our fair state, the state is stepping up to try and stop some of it so they really didn't want anyone knowing that there was this major problem with the computer system.

As a solution to your problem. There are little DMV "outlets" around town, I have one at 35th Avenue and Thomas that is privately owned and licenced by the state to serve. When we titled and registered my Dad's 31 Coupe we "ran" a couple old titles we had before we found a good one. One of the original titles we had was currently registered, if I wanted I could have claimed that was our car and gotten it. Being these outlets are not state owned they will work with you a bit more than the disgrunteled state employees that work for the DMV and seem to have trouble tying their own shoes in the morning but somehow remember to take thier grumpy pills.

Texas Webb and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Luckypabst

Luckypabst

I just call DMV and ask for the status of the particular vehicle. "I'm interested in purchasing such and such vehicle and would like to know if the title is clear or not" - something along those lines.

Chris

6. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

I tried carfax but it's only good for 1981-present. So lets say for arguments sake I steal a bike and I sit on it for 7 years I can register it and it wont come up stolen?
    -Jesse

7. Luckypabst

Luckypabst

Probably not these days. I know Cali used to drop stuff after I believe 7 years but now thanks to computers you'll pay back penalties on stuff not registered for a long long time. Therefore a hot number may be in the system for quite some time. Just call the DMV and ask the VIN status. I'm pretty sure they don't trace calls and they won't withhold info from you if it's hot.

Chris

8. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

[ QUOTE ]
    As a solution to your problem. There are little DMV "outlets" around town, I have one at 35th Avenue and Thomas that is privately owned and licenced by the state to serve. When we titled and registered my Dad's 31 Coupe we "ran" a couple old titles we had before we found a good one. One of the original titles we had was currently registered, if I wanted I could have claimed that was our car and gotten it. Being these outlets are not state owned they will work with you a bit more than the disgrunteled state employees that work for the DMV and seem to have trouble tying their own shoes in the morning but somehow remember to take thier grumpy pills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to ELpolacko. And Luckypabst.

9. enoc

enoc

10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I kinda doubt that free Carfax will work on old stuff , first thing it asks for is a 17 digit Vin ...

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well DAMN! ENOC has set a new Hamb record for an FNG to answer the oldest dead thread on the board to show his wisdom on his first post. Dead since Dec 6, 2003 wow almost 16 years that thread laid there.

Deuce rails made one point on "old" titles though and that is that you may have bought an old title from a vendor who got it from an estate sale where years before it was "lost" and the car owner had filed for and received a replacement title. I have the 'lost" title to my uncle's 71 GMC that I own and that was replaced by filing for a lost title before my aunt gave me the truck. Title would be worthless if you tried to run it as there is a notation in the file that shows it was listed as lost. I had to wait about 4 days when I transferred the replacement title when I registered the truck because the state had to send a clerk into the archives to dig out the file on the title. That was going though the best private license and title company in the region.

12. Yes, because before 1981 cars had serial numbers which only gave basic information, not a V.I.N. vehicle identification number.

In 1981, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the United States standardized the format.

upload_2019-10-14_12-16-7.png

13. greybeard360

greybeard360

Don't go by the 5-7 year rule. We were in the process of getting a new VIN plate for a 40 Chevy. We had the title and what was left of the rusted up original plate. DMV had an officer come out and inspect the vehicle to verify everything. While he was there, he asked if I minded if he check the vehicles in my shop. I told him to have at it, I didn't want someone's stolen car in my shop! Turns out, a MGB I was in the middle of installing the motor in had a bogus VIN tag on the door jamb, the original was under it still. The vehicle came back as stolen in 1981 in Pennsylvania!! The man who owned it had bought it from a salvage yard and the VIN tag matched his title, but not the frame stamped VIN or original tag. He gat pretty lucky on the deal, the original owner died many years ago and had no relatives to claim it. He got a new title and VIN tag from the state. So that theft had happened over 25 years ago and was still in the system.

14. no55mad

no55mad

If a member, AAA will do a serial/vin check for you.