Register now to get rid of these ads!

SINGLE FOG LIGHT VERSUS MATCHED PAIR OF FOG LIGHTS

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 41 GMC K-18, Sep 16, 2019.

1. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been having a conversation with " Lothiandon1940 " and with " 40ragtopdown " about the elements of a single fog light on the drivers side versus a matched pair of fog lights. The pictures from the event coverage by " 40ragtopdown " of the Louisville car show got me started on this, if you look at that thread, there are a variety of cars and trucks that have opted for the single fog light on the drivers side, some even as a single on the left as well. Also as the avatar for " Lothiandon1940 " clearly shows his Ford as having a very cool fluted amber fog light on the drivers side. I have always been into form and balance and symmetry, but I have to admit, the element of a single fog light on the drivers side, hints at asymmetry and mystery and just being contrary, which I like a lot ! ( Ed Roth's Mysterion ) with its single monster headlight has always been an inspiration for me to be different. I have a matched pair of unity fog lights on my 46 IHC firetruck, because it already had the towers that the lights were designed for, so I went with a pair. But when I finish the Dodge project, I will go with a single fluted cats eye yellow fog light, because I have one in my collection.

I would love to see from the HAMB community, opinions and photos of the various applications of the single and the matched pairs of fog lights on the cars,trucks,any and all of machines that the community has built.

Devils Post.jpg

IMG_1925.JPG IMG_2490.JPG

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. Probably the wrong section for the discussion but to each their own, I converted my last set of BLC fog lights to function as full time running lights or I could use them as turn signals.

I'm like you I like symmetry, I have another set that I converted with the thoughts of using two on my '32 sedan, I mounted them and absolutely hated the look, I left one on and didn't like that ether. HRP

[​IMG]

3. Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate them. DSCN7764 (1).JPG 2013-10-22 13.06.45.jpg

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If you're a symmetrical type person, a pair is a must. Somewhere in a file cabinet, I have a shot of a '46 Chev panel with King Bee 98-99 aux. lamps with "passing" sealed beams, and K-D hooded arrow turn signals outboard of them. Headlights had the Eye-Eez shields, so the driving lights helped a lot … had to use relays on headlights & driving lights, and went to a 45 amp gen & reg so I could use the radio, heater, & lights all at once.

41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Post up your fog lamp pics. One, two, left mounted, right mounted, whatever "lights" your fire. IMG_0287-vi.jpg

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

DSCN2433.JPG Always been partial to two. These were on my father's 37 Chevy, found in the garage in an oiled burlap bag while getting his estate cleaned out. They are Dietz made in Syracuse, NY. Have seen a lot of cars with singles, around here they seem to be mounted on the passenger side. Probably to light the fog line and shoulder. One guy around here has three, two amber 6 inch mounted symmetrically, and a clear fluted 10 inch mounted cyclops style in the middle. I use mine as to be seen lights, as my front running lights don't make much of an impression.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  8. A Boner

A Boner

Que sera sera

9. touring20

touring20

Originally the single light was add-on light for passing .
    Model Ts did not have passing lights .

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've mentioned this before...

#1 the purpose of fog lights is to provide flat, diffuse lighting. And they are primarily used when you are traveling at slow speeds (ie in the fog). Your head lights don't work well in fog, so that's why they make fog lights. Two different animals.

#2 If your fog lights are ON, then your headlights should be OFF because keeping the headlights on still makes matters worse. FYI, in years gone by, it was illegal to use them both at the same time and the instruction sheets for aux fog lights showed how to hook them up so that powering the fog lights extinguished the head lights. That's why I always use two fog lights instead of one, and wire them up to kill the power to the headlights.

Fog lights also make handy "cornering" lights if mounted / pointed more to outside so they illuminate the edges of the road / curbs on each side fo the car. Can be useful if you like spirited high-speed driving at night on twisties and want to augment your regular headlights or long-range driving lights. If that is the case, then I'd wire them on a separate relay to work independently but they might not be as good in the fog as they are not pointed straight ahead. And I'd still use two, obviously.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I prefer a matched set, a single looks like you lost the other one.
    My Linc came with a pair from the factory, below the headlights. I'm putting in amber turn signals in their place.

Oh, fog lights used to be all amber, aux driving lights were clear/white. Now all the factory installed ones are clear. I've used both in fog, both work, but sometimes even added lights don't help, the fog is just too thick for me to see through.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  12. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

I've often found myself driving in a fog, heck , I often wake up in a fog , ,no fog lights mounted yet , but like either 1 or a pair and Lothian40 s car is on the money and so is that super nice Amber fluted fog light , wonder what size bolt that is ????

13. ...........Thanks for the kind words, Dennis, I'll try to remember to check that bolt size. IMG_0011-vi.jpg

1947knuck and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  14. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.