Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Total T questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Oct 1, 2019.

1. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

I BELIEVE THOSE HUBS ARE FROM MAGNUM AXLE CO, AS FAR AS THE STEERING BOX, THE ONE I GOT FROM TOTAL PERFORMANCE ALSO HAD A SMOOTH SHAFT WITH A HOLE FOR A CROSS PIN FROM THE UNIVERSAL JOINT WHICH ADAPTED IT TO A DOUBLE "D" SHAFT. MAKES YOU WONDER HOW MUCH STRESS WAS ON THE LITTLE BIT OF MATERIAL LEFT AFTER TURING IT DOWN & CROSS DRILLING IT? AND THEY HAD A MANUFACTURING LICENSE :)

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Likely never was any splines as many corvair steering shafts were upwards of 4 feet long , that was simply cut down and the coupling was a piece of tubing .the pin is supposed to be a shear-proof pin . Never thought much of the whole system .....But , you'd most likely crack the aluminum steering box before you had trouble with the shaft ?????

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'll have to get some pics. corvair box and end of column were both splined. splines in column are mostly worn out. drilled and cross pinned through narrowed section of box.
    Lots of stuff that makes you wonder about total ( like the ford chevy ford spindle)
    Lots of stuff on the car that was just plain crappy work, like the disc brake on the diff, that the disc wasnt bolted to anything, or the rear brake calipers that only had 1 bolt each (yet were fancy polished willwod calipers) It was a wreck waiting to happen. Just amazing it wasnt worse.