Register now to get rid of these ads!

getting a title in NJ with bill of sale only?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Sep 25, 2007.

1. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Does anyone know if one can title a car in NJ when car was bought out of state without a title? Thanks Mike

2. Tuxedo

Tuxedo

I believe you can go through companies such as Broadway Title. I'll need to do this as well someday as I bought my car out of NY with a bill of sale since NY is a no title state for older cars. I think the process for Broadway is you sign the car over to them and they apply for the title, and in turn sign it back over to you. Not completely positive, but I'm sure I will be corrected.

3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

You will need a notorized bill of sale, and a pencil tracing of the VIN. I also had a transferrable regi from NY with mine, not sure if it was necessary. Do you have any other paperwork?

4. Tindall

Tindall

not trying to hijack your thread but if i have a PA title can i take that title and transfer it to a NJ Title?

edit: the guy i bought it from never transfered it over from the guy he bought it from in pa, so, do i need to get it notarized or can i just take the pa title to the dmv??

5. skipperman

skipperman

OK ... Here's the story in Jersey ..... the state will not TAKE " STORE BOUGHT" TITLES ANYMORE .... iF THE CAR IS FROM A "BILL OF SALE ONLY" STATE ( LIKE GEORGIA) .... the ONLY way to get it done with any kind of ease is to take the bill of sale and whatever else you have to PENNSYLVANIA and have someone title it in thier name and then "sell" the car to you ..... I went thru this .... My son is a NJ state Trooper .... he hooked me up with the main man in Jersey for titles AND a BIGGIE in the DMV from georgia ...... NOTHING !!!! took my bill of sale and a VIN tracing to a buddy in philly and had the title in 3 weeks ..... ( all of the high-powered cops had worked on it for FIVE MONTHS !!! Had letters from the state of Georgia,etc--NO GOOD !!).

...........................that's the EASIEST and the CHEAPEST way man .......

....... jersey Skip

6. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

oh-oh this looks like a real headache! btt

7. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

yes ive heard it has gotten tuff in the state with non title cars.

8. HotRodHarry

HotRodHarry

you cant get a title from broadway in jersey anymore. if the paperwork is not the window sticker from the car and is like a copy of the reg for the car, that and a pencil rubbing of the vin should be ok. from what i hear that reg is like having the title if that makes sense

9. cosmo53

cosmo53

i was just at the nj dmv today. bought a car from ny with no title. as long as you have the previous owners transferable registration(which serves as a title in ny) all is good. herein lies my problem, the car has changed hands 2 times, i am the third, in ny and none of the previous 2 owners ever registered it, so i have to go back to the previous owner and have them register the vehicle and sign it over to me so i can take it to njdmv and apply for a new title.

10. skipperman

skipperman

Correct ..... BUT ... NY uses a "transferable registration" .... that WILL serve as a title in NJ ... but ... I've seen those take a WHILE too ........ If the NY reg is OLD .... that will throw up a red flag ... get as CURRENT a reg. as you can and you'll be good to go ......... ( I work at a major collector car lot in jersey and I do this kinda' thing every day ......)
    ....... jersey Skip

11. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Transferable NY registration IS the title.

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Actually its a transferable registration, hence the name. When you buy a car in NY, NY uses them in place of titles. NJ, however has titles, hence the name, Certificate of Title. A better statement would have been, "Transferable NY Registation is equivalent to a NJ Title." Smartass.

13. K V Dharmateja

K V Dharmateja

Hi i am facing the same problem. Could you be able to tell me solutions for this. The who sold it to me did not even give me the bill of sale.

14. It's a nightmare in South Carolina, I will not buy a car again unless it has a title. HRP

chopped and uncleandy 65 like this.
  15. 56shoebox

56shoebox

K V,

If the NY registration is current than you are golden. If the registration has expired you have to get a notarized letter from the seller. Otherwise NJDMV will tell you to go shit in your hat.

16. NewToMeT

NewToMeT

Wish I had an answer for you but haven't found one. As the buyer we should bring whatever needed for your state such as a blank bill of sale, and if they want to sell it to you make them fill it out, and do the transfer at a notary, etc if needed

When buying the Model T in my pic, which my dad had built in the 70's, from the owner who now had it (and at least 5 owners removed from my dad) in another state (me in PA, him in NY) he hadn't registered it so still in some other guys name. Knowing PA wouldn't transfer it that way. I gave him a deposit, and made him get it registered if wanted to complete the sale. Agonizing wait, knowing my dad had built the car and I was definitely getting it back but he just thought I was a joe shmo :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  17. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Hotrodprimer is right on track. If it doesn't have a title I stay away from it and I don't care what state it is from.

irishsteve likes this.
  18. 62hotcat

62hotcat

Most states have a way of getting a title. You have to dig deep on there web sites. It takes some work newspaper adds to see if anybody claims it or reported it stolen, paperwork filled out, notaries etc. Takes awhile if the cars worth it. Or just pay someone to do it for you. I have used The Title King in Fla with good results.

19. I have read that Vermont is the easy state,and just wants your money.Once its in your name there "move" to your own state.Do a google search for registered my motorcycle with lost title in Vermont.Some guy walks you through it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Gotta love the guys that won't buy a car without a title. That leaves lots of great cars for those of us who will do a little leg work. Here's a great big THANKS!

62hotcat and FlynBrian like this.
  21. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

With no title, and no bill of sale, is it even your car? Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Selling one in the classifieds as a parts car now because my buddy didn't get a title with it. Priced accordingly though.

I thought Broadway title had been run out of business as several states won't accept any title they have had their hands on and that has been ongoing for several years. In those states any Broadway paperwork is an instant RED FLAG.

It seems that if you are buying a car out of New York that is transferable registration rather than title it is more than prudent to make sure that it has current registration and tags before you haul it home. That is a small cost to pay even if you have to drive the person who sells it to the license office and pull out the cash to pay for the registration.
    In Texas in the 70's Georgia titles were a red flag with Texas DMV as a lot of stolen cars were laundered through Georgia in those days. I knew a guy who cut up a 2 year old SS Chevelle because the guy he got it from had stolen it off a convoy truck and titled it in Georgia and then drove it to Texas. The guy got rid of it because he had a blowup with his ex and she slashed the interior (I got the bucket seats) and he dumped it before she sicked the cops on him.