Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear Tires

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Seen some cars running dirt track tires on the rear, just wondering how they wear? There is nothing out there any more when you get into the wider tires that has a decent tread pattern. I'm talking 10.50 or 12.50x30x15. Other than a light duty truck tire everything is to short, I'm talking 26 in diameter.

loudbang likes this.
  2. they don't. operative word is dirt. old style might last a bit longer cause they're repops. modern ones hardly last 100 laps.

loudbang likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Still has 100% tread.
    Denny's-garage_grey3.jpg

4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

DDDenny, what size and where did you get them?

loudbang likes this.

5. Besty34

Besty34

[​IMG]
    Mine are 8:20 x 15 from Coker and they are good , four years old, they do have some sidewalk cracking but hasn’t affected them at all

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sorry to lead you on Mike but those are actually real sprint car tires (2ply), bought them as old stock twenty years ago from Weisel Firestone in Pennsylvania.
    I'll check the size in the a.m. thinking they are 12.00/30-15.
    Check out the Coker repro Firestones (4 ply).

7. deucemac

deucemac

I'm running 14x31 double diamonds Firestone repops from Coker. Lots of miles and lots of years with no problems. Coker changed the rubber compound and they are dot approved. I bought some ribbed fronts from them at the same time and they wore out like they were erasers! They were not dot approved. I expect my double diamonds to rot off before they wear out .

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  8. Old stock twenty years ago, those are May Pop's, they may pop at any time! :D:eek::rolleyes:o_O:confused:;):cool::p HRP

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Mike
    As I thought, they are 12.00/30-15, mounted on 10" wide wheel.

Danny
    The saving grace is that other than when my avatar photo was taken in the early 2000's, they really have never seen any sunlight.
    When the UPS driver brought them, one was folded into the other (2 ply) and he carried them in one hand, I did put tubes in them.
    These were the compound and tread pattern that Firestone had after the double diamond tires, they are pretty soft so in actuality they probably won't last very long.
    Weisel had them advertised in the back of Hot Rod magazine with very little information and when I called he asked what my plans were for them, I said they would go on a street roadster, his reply was "I didn't hear you say that".

10. Check out these new guys*......... Mickey Thompson and Hoosier "Pro Street" tires. ........And some of their other
    offerings.

*Sarcasm ment in jest. :rolleyes: :p

loudbang likes this.
  11. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Thanks for the info, I'd like a 12/30/15. Everybody says Coker charges a fortune to ship, never had any dealings with them.

loudbang likes this.
  12. error404

error404
    from CA

I had a set of the newer Coker/Firestone bias ply dirt track tires 11.00-15 on the back of my 33 pickup, LOVED the way they looked, but they rode very rough at the Coker recommended PSI (32psi) and when I started reducing the PSI to get a better ride (ended up down to 25psi), they would flat spot over night. So I didn't take the PSI any lower. This is probably more of a Bias Ply V/S Radial issue than a brand issue.

I swapped them for 31x12.5x15 Hoosier Pro Street radial tires, which are just about the same size. Much better ride quality. I run them at 17psi, which is right at what Hoosier suggests. They suggested starting at 70% of the max PSI (Max is 25psi I believe), and then they suggested going up or down a few pounds until the tread contact is even. I ended up at 17psi (cold).

I still have the dirt track tires, I don't know that I'll want to run them again, as much as I like how they look. I'll probably put them up for sale locally, though I have a hard time selling them knowing how rough they were. Maybe on a heavier vehicle they would be fine. I don't know.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  13. If you want 31-12.5-16 you need to call Team III
    anything else call Hoosier
    50C1A8D9-2540-453D-BE0F-4582DE6F4949.png

loudbang likes this.
  14. Any tire no matter what brand. How old . Radial or Bias. Is a May Pop.

15. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

The Hoosier Pro Streets at around $350 each is crazy. Dang they are proud of them.

16. A Small quantity production & specialty tire.
    What other choice is there, what’s the competition?
    Since BF Goodrich sport truck radials aren’t available they could charge more but I’m guessing $380 gets them enough.

17. These are dirt tires , right rear was bigger . 10900038_640471296058705_268062835693257378_o.jpg

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

Mike,
    I had the same dilemma, so I went with the Hoosier Pro Street Radials. They ride, drive and handle great.
    I chose the 31x16.50-15's for my Coupe.... they also have them in a 31x12.50-15. They are right at 30" tall on the car.

IMG_0408.JPG

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Got to be careful on the Hoosiers..It seems that the tread pattern on 29x15.50R and larger are like the previous post pic..I couldn't use the 29x15.50 as I didn't have comfortable sidewall clearance so got another set of 29x12.50 size and tread pattern is much coarser...They ride and handle fine though.. Rear Hoosier 29 12.50 15  19150 .JPG