Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1946 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcross55, Oct 9, 2019.

1. rcross55

rcross55
    from alabama

I can't find anything on the 46 Ford door windows regarding the channel at the bottom of the window are these glued on from factory or is there a vulcanized rubber piece that fits in the u channel and then the u channel kinda crimps to the glass.......I have all new glass and if there is no rubber piece that goes in u channel any suggestions on how to center the glass in the channel to glue it......I have bought a door kit from Steele Rubber and there is no piece like came off of the u channel......Thanks in advance

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are supposed to use glass setting tape, but you never know exactly what thickness you need until you have the channel and glass ready to go. I usually use a few passes of black Gorilla tape lengthwise along the bottom edge of the glass until you get the thickness you need for a good interference fit between the glass and channel.

It's ghetto, but it works.

-Abone

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

4. I use multiple layers of friction tape.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Window urathane works great also.

6. rcross55

rcross55
    from alabama

7. rcross55

rcross55
    from alabama

Thanks For all of your help......knew was not actually glued in just couldn't find the answer..........

8. I let my glass guy do my channel settings, he has all the right materials. Always nice to find a local who does old car glass and keeps him in a job.