Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects hypothetical engine swap !

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by redoxide, Oct 6, 2019.

1. redoxide

redoxide

Ford model A coupe , and to complicate things, lets say there were 2..LOL

one 28 coupe, un chopped fully fendered V8 rear juice brakes, nothing over the top, not a beater but a good driver quality with a few minor scabs lol

The other a 30 coupe, mild chop ( 3 inch, go more if you feel the need) fenderless, V8 rear juice brakes, nice build but not show, perhaps in redoxide primer with an old tuck n roll interior and a dash full of period SW gauges .. lets put it around late 50s into the first half of the 60s , a little bit dowop and a whole lotta of shakin goin on ... lol... just for fun ..
    Its kinda been a bitof an eye opener already with no fallout.. :) good to see folks imagination at work..

It seriously is hypothetical, the builds we all do in our head ... the dilema of options lol..

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd go Cadillac. had a 62 with a 390 so I have a soft spot in my head when it comes to them 390's

warbird1 likes this.
  3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

How much is gasoline in Scotland? How much do you plan to drive it?

Personally I like the looks of a Caddy with some aluminum valve covers and it's probably the easiest to clear the steering. I think the hemi's weight and width work against it as far as steering.? Just a personal preference though.

4. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

All 3 are good choices. I guess it all comes down to how easy it is to get at things like oil filter, and routing of exaust around the steering (you did say the '28 would be a full fender). I've seen an adapter that solves the starter issue for the 303 Olds. Also how much work is it going to be to mount the engine, Is the oil pan going too hit the axle etc.etc.

5. redoxide

redoxide

Gas in Scotland is around $7.50 per gallon ( our gallon is 5 litres US Gallon is a bit less) Useage would be curtailed by lack of gas money LOL.. My daily is a Jeep Cherokee so they aint frugal on the gas ...

6. just sell all the stuff that has valve covers to finance a good Flatty...................

redoxide likes this.
  7. 73RR

73RR

...have you rebuilt an early Cad lately...? And flatties.? Not cheap
    And as I ponder the early engines I realize that very few are cheap to do a proper rebuild on.

redoxide likes this.
  8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The reason I asked is that I figured gas would be expensive, and maybe your choice should reflect what not only can be made to "look" good, but give some decent mileage. That way you get to drive and enjoy more. I know the aluminum Buick 215/Rover 4.2 etc are popular and can be made to look very nice. Fair amount of power and reasonable mileage. Also smaller so easier to install.

redoxide and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  9. Hypothetically, eh? If I lived in Scotland, I'd factor in the right hand steering, considering you're working with a skinny-framed model A. Probably want the starter on the left side. That'd be the Olds engine but early Olds' are heavy and Scottish roads are narrow and crooked.. I'd want a fairly light engine up over my steering wheels. Definitely not the hemi.
    Later caddys have the starter on the right side..not sure about early engines.
    I've got it! I'd go with a V/8 that's fairly light, maybe 45 LBS heavier than a chevy S.B., has the starter on the left side, easy to get parts for and put out good power. Using different factory heads will tune your compression ratio for about any gas you may encounter in Europe...factory bell housing to use any GM transmission with no need for any expensive adapters yep, the Pontiac V/8 would be my choice.
    You're welcome...............
    ps, I'm a little biased as that's what I use in my hot rods including the one in my avatar
    370onstand.jpg

10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

One more thing that occurred to me......hopefully the Mods will give me a little leeway on mentioning the "unspeakable" on HAMB...........electronic fuel injection........since you are in Scotland and pay $7.50 a gallon for gasoline.
    You might look into one of the aftermarket fuel injection systems that "looks like a carburetor" but has all the electronics contained in the "carburetor". Then get a classic air breather to cover it for the nostalgic look. All the old (not Olds) V8s were notorious for poor gas mileage (but gas was cheap). If you put one of the electronic injection on whatever you decide to use, you will get a significant gas mileage increase and it will eventually pay for itself. If you get a 30% increase in mileage, that can mean a lot at $7.50..........

redoxide likes this.
  11. redoxide

redoxide

The cost of gas is just the cross we have to bear . In all honesty, being retired, I dont go far or have the need to use my daily, ermm daily , so a wee bit of spend on the gas will be OK, we get used to it over here .. there soon wont be anywhere to drive in any case if they continue with the air quality exclusion zones LOL.. The idea of modern injection, single point that looks like a carb, isnt a bad idea , sometimes you have to think outa the box and despite best efforts to keep everything traditional a wee compromise toward driveability is a consideration..
    My buddy has the use of only one arm and some serious back problems , yet he manages real well driving his heavily chopped 401 Nailhead powered 30 coupe .. BUT to assist driveability I /we fitted electrically assisted steering and more recently a remote brake servo.. that makes the Buick drums brake like a modern disc set up. Takes the strain off his weak areas ..
    So in the same vain to aid the punishment on my wallet a fuel saving plan would be a plan :) I fitted a converted Volvo 4 speed to my flathead gives it an extra gear ... weather it makes it any more economical to run ? probably not, I will just use it more :)

I think im happy with my engine choice.. the old Flathead has been on the radar for years and just got around to building that car after years of procrastinating .

The Rover V8 ( ali Buick) was a stple hot rod engine over here and has been fitted in pretty much everything. The fastest car at Pendine Sands this year has a derivative of the Rover V8 fitted, albeit much modified .. But belive it or not they are horendously expensive to build over here, despite them being made here since the late 60s.. Fitted with the smaller nailhead valve covers and loosing the SU carbs dresses it up nicely..

But hypothetically speaking, I would love to fit a cadillac motor .. to me its rock n roll .. its period has the Cadillac name .. and by all accounts dress up nice :) as all the options do really....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Not that it has anything to do with this thread, but I stopped by an old friends house today. He is a professional Corvette restorer, and restorod builder. He had a 59 Corvette that someone shipped here from overseas......and it had "right hand steering". Didn't think to ask him much about it because he was giving me a tour of all the cars he was working on. Saw this one motor on an engine stand that I had never seen before. Asked him what it was. He said it was out of a Delorean......replaced it with one of those Chevy engines I can't mention here.

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Well for me the old FE would be tops , for this swap. It often gets overlooked , but it you do it you will be a happy camper .

14. Frames

Frames

I have a flathead 32, a flathead 27. a 350-350 27. a 265 29. a rat rod 4 carb Studebaker, 241 Hemi hi boy PU, Y-block lakes mod., Y-block 33 Willys. Display tube chassis 215 alum.Olds. I like them all. My vote. Rebuild the flathead or install the Caddy. I am building RED 8BA-BLUE CAD-6 SPLINE-bell housings 021.JPG another 32 with a full race 365 Caddy. In the old days Cadillac was the epitimy of prestige!