Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead mechanical fuel pump not working

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BaggedPlymouth, Oct 5, 2019.

1. BaggedPlymouth

BaggedPlymouth
    from Troy, OH

I'm building a 27 roadster. I have a 1937 ford flathead that I got back from the engine shop on a complete rebuild. I planned on running a mechanical fuel pump. Over the last few days I finished up the wiring and was ready to fire it up. I filled the carb bowl and used a vacuum bleeder to prime the fuel lines. When I started it, it ran for a few seconds then shut off. After some checking I determined it wasn't getting fuel. I tried priming the fuel pump and lines again, still no fuel. I removed the fuel lines and started to remove the pump and stand. Once I loosened the nuts, fuel came out of the pump. I checked the push rod and it looks good. I removed the intake and held my hand on the Push rod and cranked over the engine. There was no movement on the Push rod. After removing the Push rod I can look down and see the cam eccentric turning so the Push rod should be moving. I dropped it back in and turned over the engine. Still no movement. I looked down throught the Push rod hole and can see the rear cam bearing slightly pushed back blocking the Push rod from dropping all the way down to the cam.
    At this point I think I have 2 options. Either run an electric pump and block off the mechanical pump, or contact the machine shop about the issue and see if it can be corrected. I don't want to use an electric pump and have an issue down the road with the cam bearing later.
    What's the best option for me now?
    I was really hoping to have the car finished before the season but I also dont want to cut corners to get it finished.

2. prpmmp

prpmmp

Do you have the transmission on? If not you can remove the oil pump gear cover and see the back of the cam, slip a used bearing(if you can get one and tap the bearing alittle forward. I did it on a 8BA, not sure its the same on your engine. Pete

3. BaggedPlymouth

BaggedPlymouth
    from Troy, OH

Transmission is on. It's still in the car. I used a scope to take a picture and it looks like the hole in the cam bearing is just in the way of the Push rod. I'm not sure it it just needs pushed back or rotated to line up with the hole better. 191005_165957.jpg

4. prpmmp

prpmmp

Yea! It looks like side to side,If I remember right the bearing has 2 holes, one is bigger then the other,the bigger one goes on top. I'm afraid the bearing needs to be removed to fix it! You know what that means! (Lots of work) Pete