Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas shoots out when filling the car at the station

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tricky53, Jan 28, 2013.

1. My 54 has a poly tank from Tanks Inc and their filler. Part of the issue is the shallow angle of the filler tube. I did mount the tanks vent ABOVE the filler cap inside the filler lid. But with the angle you still have to hold the handle and watch it. Otherwise you will run it over. Kinda like drinking yards of beer. Part of owning an old car.

bill gruendeman likes this.
  2. Kodak Jack

Kodak Jack

I have a question for everyone. Our 51 Merc has this same problem, most of the time I can listen and hear the gurgle and stop in time. Sometimes its super noisy where I am filling up and can't hear it. Does anyone know if there is a source for updated filler neck with newer style baffle, smaller diameter, etc to use on factory style tank? I have a "Tanks" tank, its Original style metal.

3. thomas.parker197

thomas.parker197

My 55 did that the first couple of times I filled it up. Then I remembered it was a 63 year old car and that it wasn't designed to be filled by a modern gas pump. Take it slow and easy with the refueling and you won't have a problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

The 39 Ford that I have driven every day for 17 years could only be filled very very slowly. It was original and irritating. I added a large vent line that ran into the gas tank and curved up to the top of the tank where the air is. Works great

5. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

my both 1953 and 1956 olds 98 are doing the same shoot out ....
    i think it's because the elbow curve ....
    i try to go slow when almost full , but sometimes i still have gas on my shoes !!!
    hopefuly:::: i like the smell of gas ........:D

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Yup. Our 50 Chevy does the same thing, gas on the fender when it gets filled up.....