Register now to get rid of these ads!

Satellite radio Sirius vs. XM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by danev2, Jun 21, 2006.

1. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

sirius has been streaming for a while....well the important things anyway like music, they only just started steaming howard a few days ago though.

2. tred

tred

before this gets locked, take it from tred.

three weeks ago, i drove 3,000 miles plus in three days straight through. we listened to sirius.
    for the previous one and a half years, i had XM in my company car.

XM HAS A GREATER SELECTION/VARIETY OF ENTERTAINMENT!

if you want nascar or howard stern, go with sirius. but let me say this, sirius found a way to fluff howard stern's how into 5-6 hours. they do a re-cap of the show immediately following the show and then a separate news turned into talk show.

bad...

also, every day of the three days we listened to stand up comedy and then music in the afternoons. sirius played the exact same comics, exact same material in the exact same order. it was like it was just a re=peat of the previous day's show.
    same goes for the music, same songs in same order. i could not believe it.

XM has more to offer.

...but i still like the suggestion of the dual exhausts best. :D

3. hankcash

hankcash

You have XM right?

I don't know if all models have this, but on my Skyfi2, when an artist that you like is playing.. push and hold the round "XM" button.
    It will beep and store that artist in memory....
    Then...
    Anytime that artist is playing on any channel, your reciever will beep and tell you what the song is, what channel and stuff... just push the round button again, and it will take you there... viola!

hc

4. LOL I'm busted!

5. RadirWheelsGuy

RadirWheelsGuy

the S50 DOES NOT recieve live radio, only radio that you recorded earlier, does that make any sense?

while Xm has the myfi that gets live radio and the new inno that gets live radio and has a built in mp3 player and full color screen, etc it is big money thought since its new.

To use "tune select" on most Xm radios, say for instance you have a skyfi 1 or 2 or xpress recievers, you think "wow this song or artist is cool" all you do now is press the "xm" button in the middle of the tune knob until it beeps.

then anytime you have the radio on, no matter what channel you are currently on it will tell you that that selected artist/song is playing on channel so&so...

6. RadirWheelsGuy

RadirWheelsGuy

damm im slow.... hah you beat me to it.

7. RadirWheelsGuy

RadirWheelsGuy

Generally, Sirius is known to play shallower cuts,.. meaning that they play alot of stuff you hear on regular playlists, "the hits" this translates into
    "played out" to me.

while xm plays alot of stuff that makes you go "holy crap, i havent heard this song in years"

8. Misirlou

Misirlou

I was wondering XM vs. Sirius also, decided on XM

9. tred

tred

ahh, you've been listening to fred, ethel, and lucy... :rolleyes:

10. Psychoarts

Psychoarts

Sirius all the way. I have 2 and I'm gonna purchase a third tonight. Plus I hear XM is in cahoots with Crap Channel Communications.

11. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

I think XM has about 190 stations and Sirius 160.....With an extra 30, there's bound to be more you like

12. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

And, the point?

13. 47fordcoe

47fordcoe
    from San Diego

politics and religion......now satellite. Things you never discuss while drinking...ha ha ha .....you guys fucken crack me up!!!

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

First, HankCash is a genious.

Second, I had no idea about the Kowabunga and the Hee Haw Hell. Bitchin. It will be hard to catch the Kowabunga, but I can catch the Hee Haw Hell on my way home from work. (yes, I have XM)

Third, I never miss the Rockabilly Roadtrip Tuesdays at 5pm central on the 50s channel. I also listen to the Boneyard and Cross Country the most.

Fourth, can you do this favorite artist thing on the factory XM in GM vehicles? I ordered my GMC with XM and have not heard of this feature.

Finally, I've had my truck for almost a year and a half, and I RARELY ever listen to traditional radio. Maybe 3-4 times total. XM rules.

PS, my iPod in the coupe and the garage rules. Again, rarely listen to normal radio in the garage, and the coupe is only set up for an iPod.

FM radio is dead.

15. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

With all those channels you'd think they'd have a Rockabilly one..........

16. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

I really couldnt give a shit about the music!! I have SIRIUS for only one reason....Howard Stern!!! The bonus is also getting Bubba The Love Sponge. Two of the Best radio shows on earth!!

17. hankcash

hankcash

Wow. I wouldn't want to live if I didn't give a shit about music!

hc

18. Brewton

Brewton

19. hankcash

hankcash

They do encore re-plays of most of the shows...
    go to www.xmradio.com to see the schedules.

hc

20. mugsy

mugsy
    from San Diego

That's some straight up unfounded bullshit right there!

The only way to figure out which is right for you is listen as much as you can to both and make an educated decision. And you've already said you're gonna do it, so good.

Way too much conjectural bias goin' on here.

21. RadirWheelsGuy

RadirWheelsGuy

its fact, read into it,

22. My Brother And My Buddy Both Have Sirus ,... Way Better .. Has Great Selection .. Easy Insatllation .. Set Yur Boom Box Next To Yur Car And It Will Pick Up The Station...

Just Make Sure You Ask For Play Boy Radio.. They Cant Offer To You Unless You Ask ..

Happy Trails

23. Never Die

Never Die

When I worked at Radioshack I listened to the Sirius all the time (literally, ALL the time), when I bought my satelllite radio I went with XM. Depending to what you listen to, in my opinion XM has it ALL OVER Sirius in music variety and quality. I listen to alot of punk, alot of older and alternative country, some oldies, and some metal (and the occasional crappy 80's electronic-type band), and XM just wins out hands down in those catagories. Sirius's punk channel is ABSOLUTE garbage compared to XM, playing rap half the time. XM has Hee-Haw Hell, Lars Fredericksen, the guy that owns Side-One Dummy records, and even the normal DJ has great taste. Sirius just played poppy MTV-punk crap most of the time. X-Country and Hanks Place are 2 terrific channels, X-Country plays a ton of underground country stuff, all of which is great, and Hanks Place covers the classics. I also like Boneyard, if you like 80's metal this is for you (not hair metal), lots o' Maiden. The Comedy Channel (the first one on the dial) is great too, thats what I listen to all day long at work.

Just my opinion, but in my experience I agree that I found Sirius to play more mainstream stuff (again, the punk channel sucks bigtime compared to XM), whereas XM plays alot more obscure type stuff, which I like.

24. synthsis

synthsis

NO DOUBT!

25. mugsy

mugsy
    from San Diego

How is opinion fact?

26. Misirlou

Misirlou

XM definately.

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Lets see......5 pages of whether or not XM or sirius radio is better???WTF!
    Radios in hot rods are gay!:D HAHAHAHA!
    Another forum is needed for all this OT crap lately.:p

28. heavy

heavy

29. geemann51

geemann51

Siriusl, soley for Outlaw country and MOJO NIXON. I've had for three years now, not sure if XM got any better, but at the time I liked SIRIUS better....