Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question for you suspension guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had the same setup that X-cpe said he has for show and tell on a number of Cadillacs over the past 25 years. Stock setup. You don't need that whole setup but an onboard compressor and tank would be nice. The tank to supply the air right then and the compressor to refill the tank. That saves the wait at that driveway while the shocks air up.
    Air shocks were pretty well misused in the 70's and early 80's when guys ran wide tires and rims on the back of their cars and used the air shocks to jack it up to have the tires clear the fenders. A lot of us can tell a story about a local guy (local to who ever tells the story as it happened a lot0 who had an airline blow and the fender dropped on the tire and ate tire and fender. I gave a guy a pair of rollers one day in Texas so he could get home after that happened.
    Air shocks might be quicker and easier and basically they will working as auxiliary to springs to bring the rear up when you need to or help keep the stance when you tow the trailer. Most air shocks like some air pressure in them though.
    Bags would work real nice in conjunction with the springs, something in the way Load leveler bags work on pickup trucks. Added lift when you need it to haul someone or something or to keep the rear from hanging up on who knows what and I know for sure it isn't fun to have to ask your wife and kids to get out of the car so you can get over a driveway entrance But Boneful Utah and lowered rides don't jive vey well. Thing is what do you have better clearance for?

BigO likes this.
  2. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

I have run air shocks on the back of my Nash for 20 years with no problems. I use them to go over speed bumps, angled drives and other places i would normaly drag the rear. I am using a compressor from a buick 225, a homemade air tank, and skinner vales with toggle switches to raise and lower any time needed.

BigO likes this.
  3. Air Lift helper bags for pickups and Duallys are less than 300 bucks on the net. They clamp on the housing and bolt " to the frame. Might find something real close for your application . They won't lift it a lot, but probably 3 " anyway.
    How much are air shocks now?

BigO likes this.
  4. Thanks for the info, this will help me make the right decision.

5. That's all I'm looking to do, minimum use. Thanks

6. Thanks, that's something else to look into. You guys have been very helpful.