Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Mercury Monterey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JoeyP., Jul 17, 2014.

1. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Hey everyone, I picked up a new project awhile back and have slowley been tinkering with it. Its a 1955 Mercury Monterey with the original 292 y-block. Odometer reads 13K and the previous owner believes its true, dont know if this is true but the car is still cool. Has had one repaint, and this car was someones baby at one time and they really took care of it. This car was nice at one time, but it slowly made its way from the garage, to the carport and eventually outside, by the PO. I got the car on the cheap because the previous owner connected a 12 volt battery (in a 6 volt positive ground system) to it and hooked it up backwards, and could never get it to run. I eneded up fixing a mess of wiring and eliminated any headache and converted it to a 12 volt negative ground system with 100amp 1 wire alternator. After fixing some issues with the starting systemt it is now running and the engine sounds great, but the famous Holley teapot needs some help. Part of the problem with the carb is an amature previously worked on it and did more damage to it than good. The body and frame is mint except for the few noticable areas on the outside pictured. Anyway I always thought this generation of Merc was always cool and you don't seem to see as many of them, even though is a 4 door its still cool. If anyone knows of a clean rust free hood for sale, I'm on the lookout as well. I have the fender skirts for it, but I'm almost thinking the Continental kit needs to go(and I do have the tire cover, but I'm still up in the air(opinions welcome). Anyway, enough of my blabbing here are some pictures of the day I picked it up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like a real clean one to start with.

3. Very nice looking, beautiful car.
    I agree with the continental kit need to vanish. What is the problem with the Holley?
    Congrats.

4. Cool. I learned to drive in one just like it! My Grandpa's car. I'm nearly 70 years old & still think of him often. Thanks for the pics and good luck with it.

5. Oh yeah, real nice car! I agree, just my opinion but time to sell the continental kit. More pics please!

6. Looks in real good shape.Hood looks ok,little rust?Dont throw the cont'l kit if you remove it.

7. carguy699

carguy699

very cool ride!! I have a soft spot for them as my late brother,s first car was an orange 55 2 door ht
    as far as the connie kit it is very retro so why not keep it??
    jim

8. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I'm with the "lose the continental kit" crowd. Still a cool looking car. I would save myself some trouble too by going with a yblock "B" intake manifold, modern carb (Autolite 4100, Holley or Edelbrock) & 57 distributor (unless you want to keep it original). You end up with a better running car if you go with the later yblock parts

9. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

I thought about changing the intake and doing away with the load a matic distributor, I just want it reliable. As far as the hood, it looks ok from the outside, but the inner bracing is completely gone, thats why it sits too low in the front when it's closed because thats where the latch and hood bumpers attach. I may end up making a piece and fixing it if I cant find anything. Does anyone know if someone makes that piece of sheet metal on the aftermarket? If/when I remove the continental kit I won't throw it away, I'll either hang on too it or sell it to someone who wants it. When I make more progress I'll post more pictures.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  10. homer2u

homer2u

i just got the same car in arizona. 55, 292 y block, Merc-O-Matic and 100% original from original owners estate. 87k miles. bad damage to drivers side but Desert Valley auto parts has a hood for you. i bought the entire side.
    more detail on the parts used on the 12 volt conversion??

11. BJR

BJR

The OP posted this in 2014. He probably found a hood by now.