Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flat Black Paint Job

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Cinnamon, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Cinnamon

Cinnamon

I’m in need of some suggestions. Last weekend I had my car parked out in front of my house, drove it around the neighborhood and later that day I pulled it in the garage got out and noticed little specks on the car. Thinking it was dust but than realized it was white specks. Looks to be white over spray.
    It’s not all over looks to be on the roof, trunk, and left quarter panel.
    any suggestions / thoughts???

thank you

2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Hi.
    You have flat black paint? ... or are you considering a flat black paint job?

3. Cinnamon

Cinnamon

The car is painted flat black.

4. fresh painted white lines on any roads you have traveled?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Along with the road paint did you or anyone else use a spray can of paint anywhere within 30 ft of the car lately?
    Did you park behind a body shop lately" Years ago in Texas some clown threw a fit because the exhaust fan from the paint booth in a body shop speckled his car. Thing was he parked right between two big signs that said absolutely no parking in the alley behind the shop. He raised a stink and tried to sue the shop but the Judge threw it out because he knew the signs had been there for years.

6. Cinnamon

Cinnamon

No I went around the neighborhood ( side streets )
    The only thing I can think of is someone was painting with a rattle can since it’s only a the top of the car and 1 side.
    Some people have suggested a clay bar to remove the spots but I’m scared that will give the finish to much of a shine.

7. <------See my hamb handle, I have always liked the look of fresh primer be it black, red or gray, it just seems to say hot rod, but out in the real world the elements are not kind to primers, dirt,road grease,tar and bird sh!t reek havoc on the primer and leave smudges & spots requiring a new fresh coat of primer, it's a vicious cycle that never ends.

Then along came the flat paints and I was among the first to jump on that band wagon but it too was susceptible the the same elements that caused the primer to look like , well crap.

The flat paint will hold up longer but when you have something like the white paint specks you can sand them or compound them but then the paint has a different look all together, ruining that uniform look.

I eventually found the Kirker S.G. hot rod black, while it isn't flat black, it does handle what ever mother nature throws at it, was it and it dries looking perfect, it doesn't fade and holds up extremely well.

I used it on my Deuce pickup, drove it for 7 years and the finish looked as good the day I sold it as the day it was painted.

I will use the Kirker again. HRP

8. 34Larry

34Larry

9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Put the shiny on. Primer is not a finish,it was a preparation.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    samurai mike likes this.
  10. A Boner

A Boner

Sounds like you are another victim of climate change!

11. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Try mild soap and water first. Maybe 409 or such next. Then mineral spirits. I’m taking for granted your black paint has some age to it, if it’s fresh you may be out of luck. Work in an inconspicuous place first if possible. Good luck.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

anything that removes paint from porous flat paint will remove or change the flat finish

13. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Parked under any trees?

Lots of trees will drip sappy stuff from leaves and high branches - I get lots of "dots" when I park at my parents house and in a couple parking lots where I work.

14. SweetBaby

SweetBaby

i shoot matt clear on the flat black....makes it uniform and flat for ages....also allows me to get rough w little spots from life....i'd try goof-off on each spot

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd paint it shiny. Way easier to keep clean.

16. scuff it and flat clear it