Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have Radir slicks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Jun 20, 2006.

1. We're trying to figure out which size to run on the Stevenator '30 A... the 10"ers or the 8.5"er Radir slicks...

Plans are to run an 8" mag or chrome reversed wheel with the black walls out.

Do they drive down the road ok?

Have any pics of the difference between the two?

I know, a lot of questions...

Thanks a bunch!
    Sam.

2. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

I'm running the 8.20-15 and yes they are nice run smooth. I would buy another pair. any other questions?

3. krooser

krooser

4. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, 8.20's here too. Ride nice, not even as spooky as I thought they would be in the rain. Don't ask.

5. Mike

Mike

I've got a pair of their 8:20 x 15s on 15x8 ET 5 spokers on the back of my '57 Chevy. They run nice and smooth. I drove to Vegas and back with no sweat. They are nice tires.

6. scottrod

scottrod

I use the 8 1/2" Radirs just for the drag races. They definitely ride stiffer on the highway than the skinny polyester Universals I usually run. The Radirs do grab though, even in the rain. I can get the Radirs to slip just a little at the starting line, so if you're using them for racing, which I know you do, maybe the 10 inchers would be better. I can't post pics right now, but maybe you can find a picture somewhere. The imperial customs website has a picture in the gallery of my coupe with the slicks on.

7. Plowboy

Plowboy

Ditto.

8. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Here is a shot of a 10.0-15 Radir slick on a 10" wide rim.

They ride fine but really dont work traction wise. They are too stiff.

Attached Files:

9. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

[​IMG]

I used the 8 1/2 '' on DeathsDoorStep.......................and use the 10'' ones on my Model A Truck.The truck I drive to work and run all over town in, and they ride great for what they are.............at the track I have had great luck with them.............they get sticky enough and wrinkle at launch......I did kill a set in a year of racing...............Got caught in the rain and had no problems.......Good Luck Littleman

10. Wow! Thanks guys!

What size rim are you running Littleman?

Sam.

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I had the 10's on 8-1/2" rims on my old coupe
    never ran them at the track but they worked fine on the street although they are pretty stiff.

I have a pair of 10's on 10" rims that may be an alternate for the Topolino but want something sticky on the track

and I have a pair of 8.20's on back order for the A
    they will go on 8" rims
    the new ones are supposed to be made of a softer compound than the previous runs, I didn't get a durometer rating though...

maybe radirwheelguy can enlighten us?

12. the shadow

the shadow

FYI : I spoke with radir today about some 8.20 x 15's i have on order, they have been waiting for a fresh order from micky thompson. the delay they are having is they switched to a softer compound then the previous tires so it will grab more.

13. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

The rubber on them is mickey thompson, I've had no problems from customers who have them hooking.

Get some VHT

14. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

I waited a loooong time for my 10.00x15's. Worth the wait though. They are tip top on the street.
    On the strip they performed well also. I've just gotta learn to get em hot enough so I don't overpower them. ( only ever run on the strip 1 time )
    Lookie........

Attached Files:

15. Todd553

Todd553

I have 8.20's and I love them. I ran them around town at Bonneville last year and they were great. I have not run them at the track yet but I'm pretty confident they will be great.

Attached Files:

16. Sam, I had Hurst recaps on the coupe, I sure liked them and I know they're quite a bit cheaper than the Radir slicks.

17. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Todd553, I saw that car at the SoCal open house. Nice! Going to be REALLY nice when finished.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Just bought these from Hurst myself....very nice product,Cody Adams is a helluva guy and a terrific price.
    I am planning to use them in the new year.The size(height) is on the money.......31 inches tall.....Radir did not offer that in there product line up.

Attached Files:

• T1.jpg
      T1.jpg
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
  19. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

anybody got a link to the recaps from Hurst? They look great!

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

21. Magnus B

Magnus B

I'd like to see pics of the different sizes standing next to each other to. It would be great to see the difference between Hurst and Radir too.

/Magnus

22. RadirWheelsGuy

RadirWheelsGuy

The differences are that the M/T Radir Dragster slicks are all new 1 piece tires, not old used radial tires with a recap and raised white letters sanded off. thats where the price difference comes from.

Guys, Im doing my best keep my cool myself with the delay of our shipment of 8.20"s and 10.00"s I have a ton of customers waiting here and are doing everything we can to get them out to ya as soon as possible.

The delay stemmed from going to a little softer compound. M/T says they had to rework the molds a little to get everything flowing good.

Once they finally get here they are going to be some of the baddest ass tires on the market!, softer then the current tires, but not too soft that that will pickup pebbles,etc.

23. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

So what is this "NEW" rubber compound?
    Durometer reading Cold? Hot?

I will offer a set "at major discount" to anyone who will test "side by side" my tire with Radir. I know my product has what it takes.Regardless what some wheel salesman tells you!:D

24. How will that softness effect the guys who just want to run them on the street?

Is it possible to offer two compunds?

Also... how backed up are you? Are you able to tell when a customer will get their product?

Sam.

25. Big-Olaf

Big-Olaf
    BANNED

I am glad you posted this picture.... I was just sitting in my "reading room" looking over the newest issue of Rod and Custom, and was wishing that they had taken a picture of what the back end of that funny looking car with the radiator in the back..... Get here, and low and behold.... a back shot... (August R&C bottom of page 34....) SWEEEEET ride.....:D

26. RadirWheelsGuy

RadirWheelsGuy

It wont, We just went to the same compound as our 7.75"s and they bite!,
    We just put a set of the little guys on a 67' 427 vette and they hang on and growl, cant break em loose pulling 2nd or 3rd even.

27. RadirWheelsGuy

RadirWheelsGuy

Oh ya, Littleman, congrats on the feature man! You really have the balls to build some outrageous stuff! deathsdoorstep is one of the tuffest cars out there.

28. Hi: I'm new to this thread, but am very interested in the topic in that I'm building a blown 34 coupe and will run some sort of 60's style drag rubber on my car. As I'm not familiar with you -- which product is yours and where can I read on the specs, tire/rim sizes, pictures, options, etc?

Thanks!

Dale

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Here Dale: http://www.hurstracingtires.com/index.html

30. RadirWheelsGuy

RadirWheelsGuy

Again, our tires are new, 1 piece construction, not a used tire that has been recapped. hence the price differences.

This "wheel salesman" can tell you that you will not have any doubts about running a 1 piece M/T-Radir dragster slick vs a recapp.

And if you cannot believe what "some wheel salesman" tells you, Well then perhaps "Big Daddy" Don Garlits has the credentials,The man who helped us design,test and approve our tires,

[​IMG]
    Recapped Radial tire.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1 piece Mickey Thompson-Radir Dragster slicks