Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Coverting a Ford 6v gen to 12v - how do I?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cederholm, Sep 25, 2019.

1. cederholm

cederholm

Hey guys, based on the THIS older thread, I'm interest in converting my '52 Ford 8BA 6v generator to 12v.

If I'm understanding the thread correctly I can take the case and field coil for a 12v 1964 Ford Fairlane and mate them with the end caps, armature and pulley from the 8BA. I understand I will need the correct voltage regulator as noted in the original post.

Can anyone confirm? And I'm sure the rage on acceptable donors are more than that one year, if someone could elaborate it would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Carl

2. alchemy

alchemy

You can take your old front mount/plate off the original generator from your car, and put it on any generator from a passenger car up to whenever they stopped making generators (1964?). Use the case and coils, armature, and rear plate. Might need to drill the small locating peg hole in the bottom of the case for the 8BA intake mount. And the pulley from the later generator might work, or you might need to use the old pulley. The pulleys are the difficult part to work out. All the rest just bolts together.

town sedan likes this.
  3. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. cederholm

cederholm

Cool! Thanks Dan.

dan c likes this.