Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Column Shifter Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TurboOutlaw, Sep 25, 2019.

1. TurboOutlaw

TurboOutlaw

I bought a 64 Ford Custom with a 3 speed manual transmission and the shifter is pretty sloppy. It got to the point where it did not want to go into 2nd gear. I took the column apart and found the nylon bushings destroyed. I cannot find a rebuild kit or the bushings any where! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Attached Files:

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If you have looked at all the normal places and can’t find one.... Determine the original dimensions as best you can and have a machine shop build you a set out of nylon or pvc. That stuff is machinable. I’ve done similar bushings before on my lathe. Might be expensive, but it is a solution.

Bones

town sedan and LAROKE like this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Maybe you could make some out of PVC pipe?

302GMC, Boneyard51 and firstinsteele like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yo, 'Outlaw'! Look up *C&G Ford parts*, they have the most extensive stock of FORD parts from 1927-1972. Most Ford parts of any parts house! (small parts their specialty, bushings, bearings, etc.)
    Edit: Just looked up parts in 'Transmission/column shift parts'...no bushings for shifter...sorry.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Boneyard51 likes this.

5. The manual and automatic columns share a fair number of parts, but the automatic ones generally don't wear as badly. See if you can find a 'donor' column...

town sedan and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. I’ve had pretty good luck with McMaster-Carr. If you determine the inside & outside diameters and look up bushings (nylon, PVC, bronze), you’re bound to find something.

I was having a hard time finding a bushing for an off-topic Ford clutch pedal and found it there. So I ordered two.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. v8flat44

v8flat44

Maybe Joe's Antique Auto Parts. Mostly 32-48 stuf, but ya never know.

8. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. In addition to that inner bushing does your 2 shift arms that come out of the column that the two tranny rods attacth to have bushings around the rods? If they a wore out or missing it also makes shifting very sloppy. I know they are avalible from most of the Chevy sources. One time when away from home I needed one and used an aluminum nut and filed the outside round & it worked great. Good luck, Jimmie

town sedan likes this.