Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 Chevy Borg Warner R-10 Rebuilder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Can anyone suggest a transmission shop that can rebuild this style transmission?
    [​IMG]

The vehicle (59 Chevy Sedan Delivery) is for a friend that lives in Riverside California. He is willing to go south into San Diego and north into Los Angeles as well. Thanks

2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

A friend of mine had his done at Border Parts in San Diego They specialize in drivetrain stuff. I'm sure there's something closer to you though...

Johnny Gee likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know anyone who could paint it that funky color...but it's not rocket surgery, just dive in and fix it

Cosmo49 and Jokester like this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ It's just a sample photo I found Jim. No, I don't care to. He was (my friend) advised not to try and use it because no electrical was hooked up. He pulled the lever in motion and he said it went BANG!. He just picked it up a few day's prior. Only forward gears and no reverse now.

5. BJR

BJR

No reverse could just mean it's in overdrive.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

True from what I've read on those transmissions and how they work and behave. But trying to explain details to my friend over the phone is taxing. I love the guy to death but all the help Mr. Wizard calls are getting to me.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    lumpy 63 likes this.
  7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I spend untold hours researching stuff for my personal hot rods...Don't have time to do the leg work for kinda wanna be car guys...I'm sure that you , me , squirrel etc would just throw it on the bench and tear it down. But we have to prioritize our hours on this Planet...

8. squirrel

squirrel

if it's not wired up etc, then getting it rebuilt probably won't help the situation. He either needs to find a local guy who can fix stuff, learn how to fix it himself, or find a new hobby

Cosmo49 and lumpy 63 like this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

New day new thought's. Regardless of what anyone thinks due to my expressing my feelings of not going over and above what's needed to help my friend. I can say this. The entire system will be corrected by my friend. It's sad that he possibly broke his trans. I've known him for nearly 30 years and I wish I had his spirit to go out and work full time high paying job, work his passion for playing music at night to earn extra income and sell at the car swaps. He's went from T Top's in the late 80's to 60's car's in the 90's and early 2000's and now only own's 59 Impala, Convertible, El Camino's, and Sedan Delivery's. To every one of these vehicles he seeks out all the period correct parts to replace any late model wrong doing's that have been done to them. His only wrong doing is looking at the tee handle like a wet paint sign. He had to touch it. He openly said first thing on the phone to me "John I f***** up I didn't listen to the seller I bought the car from. Do you know of a rebuider?"

I asked here because, well, I didn't know.

10. Pulling the cable alone should not mess anything up. Done it many times, this will only allow the transmission to free wheel. The "engagement" requires that the vehicle speed be above 30-35 for the solenoid to work.

Sounds like the clutch cam might be the problem. If the rollers come out, then reverse might not work.

Johnny Gee and squirrel like this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's a Muncie 319 transmission. Try Garage Motorsports, 1103 McLoughlin Blvd Vancouver, Wa. 1-877-493-0753.
    [email protected]. In fact, that might even be where your photo came from.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Torkwrench likes this.
  12. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i called the local aamco to get my r-10 rebushed and they said borg-warner never made a trans with such a low number...

Johnny Gee likes this.
  13. 62SY4

62SY4
    from Irwin, Pa

When you say no reverse, as some have alluded to does the car act like it's in neutral? Or does it act like the wheels are cemented in place?

Dan c, only the overdrive portion is an R-10 or R-11. The main transmission is something else, i.e. a Borg Warner T-86 with overdrive. Don't know to many people who would only work on the overdrive half.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It appears it stay's stationary in forward gears just fine but I'm not there with the car. And yes, there isn't many people that know about them and fewer that still work on them.

15. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i explained what it was and that i had the parts. no problem!