Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 58(?) Apache frame questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buschandbusch, Sep 23, 2019.

1. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

Hey all, I have a question about the frame of my 1958 3100. The front radiator support cross member doesn't look like the one in my 55-59 service manual, or like any pics I've seen of 55-59 frames. The main rails look right (but are missing the little stepups on top of the frame for the radiator core support), and the cab mounts are in the right spot. The frame looks a lot less cancerous than the the cab though, so is there a chance it could be a pre- or post 55-59 frame?
    And yes, that's a foam Windsor. I scored it for $160, way less than a new foam SBC, so it'll do for rough-rough-rough mockup!

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check your pm's

3. squirrel

squirrel

could be a GMC frame, eh? They had the single front motor mount like that.

Frankie47 likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim has a point there. That does look GMC for an inline six.

gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

That was what I was kind of thinking, since I did find a couple of pics of GMC cross members that looked a lot closer to what I have...

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a big deal if you run a V8 with a Universal crossmember or side mounts That Ford style block isn't going to do you any good setting up a Chevy engine though. There are no similarities in how they mount.

7. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

No worries, I was mainly just getting a feel for how much engine bay space a small block will take up. I wasn't going to make any real measurements off of it, but I just was in a hurry to see any kind of motor in there