Register now to get rid of these ads!

port-a-wall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billjharris, Jun 20, 2006.

1. billjharris

billjharris

anyone know where to buy new port-a-walls? I saw some at paducah that really looked nice but the fella that had them on a car for sale in the car corral did not know where they came from, they were on the car when he bought it.

2. hambone

hambone

Lucas Tire That Advertises In The Back Of Hemmings Has Them. I Ran A Set Afew Years Ago. They Do Not Hold Up Well At Highway Speeds. The Edges Will Scallop Off. But They Are A Cheap Www.

3. kooldeuce

kooldeuce

I collected a box full of them over the years.All are used I think.Some may be new but I'm not sure.Some have the chrome trim ring on them.I think they are all 15's.

I won't be using them.Wouldn't mind trading them for something?(old parts)
    Really don't like selling.

4. Can't rubber-cement the outer edges I suppose... ?

5. Bugman

Bugman

Nope. a radial sidewall flexes to much. Thats where the real problem is. Even if they don't fly apart on the highway, they will wear a groove into the sidewall because the radial tire flexes, the stiffer port-a-wall doesn't, and bad things happen. If you cemented them, it would help for awhile, but eventually the flexing would cause the glue to tear, and you'd still have the same basic problem.

BTW, many VW resto places sell them too.

6. Bella G.

Bella G.

Go the VW shop route if you have to go the cheap route. I have been there before. Try www.thesamba.com , You can find a set of 4 for about 45 bucks. Bella G.

7. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I ran a set for one season on radials...won't do it again.
    They grooved the sidewall so bad the tires are almost smooth.
    They also burned in the letters off the tires underneeth, so I had "flapping raised brown letter wide whitewalls" after a 400+ mile trip. Save the bucks and buy a set of diamondback classics or something if you really want radials.
    Shawn

8. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

i got some off the hamb havent ran them yet also good tech on grinding on here grinding is tough didn't go well for me! good luck

9. Hunter Bender

Hunter Bender

i know all you guy's love to talk shit about the v.w.'s, but that is where you need to go to get them. been using them for years. check out vintagewarehouse.com. only get the ATLAS brand. and when you mount them use a bead of Shoe Goo under them. and most of all don't be ashamed that you learned something from someone who has v.w.'s.

10. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

Nothing keeps them down, they all shred at high speeds, the only way to make them work is to not buy ones bigger than an 1" 1/2. I ve tried them all and only the small sizes last!!

11. Makes sense. Those things came out in the 50's and probably haven't changed much since - just like tubes, you need some designed to run on radial tires. Which may simply mean making them of a more flexible, compatible rubber material. Then sticking them on good as suggested above.

12. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

i have to disagree with you on that one.i have a set of 15 inchers on my car now.2 of the tires arent as tall as the back ones and the taller tires have held up fine.i believe if you run a tall enough tire you wont have any problems..the back ones also didnt seat right when the tires were originally mounted so yes,they flapped,yes,they ripped.but the other ones have been on the car for a year and look like they're part of the tire.a month after i got the new tires and the ports,someone slashed my tires and i was able to just remove the ports and stick em on the new tires.i'll probably never buy an actual set of whites because of this and either stick to portawalls or just paint them on.my 2 cents
    creepy

13. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Hunterbender is right on.

Shoe Goo is INCREDIBLE stuff. It is a product for fixing the holes in your tennis shoes and it WORKS. Its flexible, sticks HARD and lasts/wears long. Sorta like Rubberized JB Weld. I put a thin coat of it on my good shoe soles and they last twice as long. I've never seen it peel or crack.

Glenn