Register now to get rid of these ads!

Super Stock Reunion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Apr 6, 2009.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

42.jpg This is one of the last photos of Bob Tasca and Bill Lawton together, at the '95 S/S Reunion. Bill is 5th from left (upper) and Bob is second from right (upper).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. frank spittle

frank spittle

056.jpg 14.jpg Don and Patty (right) Nicholson at the '89 S/S Reunion Banquet. It was one of Patty's last Super Stock Reunions before being stricken by a stroke. Don continued on with his seven second '62 Chevy for several more S/SRs.

3. frank spittle

frank spittle

17.jpg 18.jpg Dick and Marco were regulars st the Super Stock Reunions. Dick Estevez and Don Nicholson were long time friends and Don & Patty stayed with Dick and Sandy when they were in the Maryland area racing. It was Dick who called me to let me know of Don's passing.

4. frank spittle

frank spittle

10635.jpg "The Voice Of Drag Racing" Jon Lundberg (left) announced many of the Super Stock Reunions. Here, he is asking Doug Thorley how he got into the header business at the '95 event

5. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

I missed the show due to an illness. Anyone go and take any pics they can post?

6. frank spittle

frank spittle

twotoejoe,

I will post some pictures soon. We did not have as big a turnout as hoped for but that seems to be par for the course in these times. It was certainly worth the time involved for me. Lamar Walden, who won the first race, was there with his two all aluminum 409 Chevy prototypes, one in a '58 Impala and the other in a '62 Bel Air Bubbletop. Arnie Beswick had his original '66 GTO Funny Car and the Tameless Tiger there. Arnie turned 80 this month. Also, 5 original Ramchargers were on hand including Tom Hoover who is also 80. There a a lot more info to post when I get the pictures up.

7. copo69

copo69
    from WV

I'm looking forward to pictures too. I couldn't attend due to an injury and sat around all weekend wishing I was there.

8. frank spittle

frank spittle

DSCN3440.jpg Here is a photo taken at the 2010 Super Stock Reunion at Piedmont Dragway. The guy in the red shirt is Larry Holland who captured it on film. He was interviewing "The Original Ramchargers" and is talking to Tom Hoover and standing behind Holland is Barnes Daniels, Dick Jones and Mike Buckel. Present but not in the picture was Tom Coddington. The guy to the far left looking away is "Motown Missile" genius mechanic Ted Spehar.

racer-x likes this.
  9. frank spittle

frank spittle

DSCN3442.jpg I am presenting an Honoree Plaque to the builder and original operator of Piedmont Dragstrip, Bobby Starr. I know some of you readers who attended Piedmont back in the Sixties will get a kick out of this picture. Starr was famous for two things. Organizing some of the best S/S races of the era and also going barefoot at the races (yes he is barefoot). Now nearly 80, Starr had an especially heartwarming reunion with Arnie Beswick who Arnie says was the first track operator to book him into a race and that was in 1960.

10. frank spittle

frank spittle

DSCN3445.jpg This is the original '66 Pontiac GTO Funny Car that Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick raced in the '66 and '67 seasons. It was the first time it had been to Piedmont Dragstrip in over 40 years.

11. frank spittle

frank spittle

DSCN3480.jpg SUPER STOCK REUNION 2010

Arnie Beswick drew a crowd anywhere he settled. He had turned 80 the week before. He has an amazing memory and is in great health. Believe it or not he still is involved in farming.

12. Deuces

Deuces

Me and a friend of mine (Jay Southerland) both worked for Batten Performance during the early '90's.. Jay did some machine work on Bill Porterfield's other ZL-1 block for his Daytona Yellow ZL-1 Camaro.. It was cool working for Sid Batten back in them days.. I did a bunch of machine work on some V-12 prototype crankshafts for him.. :cool:

13. frank spittle

frank spittle

BTTT. Some of you new viewers might be interested.

loudbang likes this.
  14. I attended all of the ss reunions and have a bunch of photos to post. I will have to get them out.

loudbang likes this.
  15. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks Brian, your '65 Dodge Funny Car sure was a crowd pleaser. Please do post some pictures of it.

loudbang likes this.
  16. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

IMG_3091.JPG IMG_3092.JPG I still have the participant badges from 1997, mine and my future wife's. My fastest pass at the time. 9.70 I think.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  17. Will do. I have alot of them as in at least a hundred or more.

loudbang likes this.
  18. I never came across this first time around. Thanks for bringing it back. I went to several of them in Dinwiddie Va.

loudbang likes this.