Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hemi Crankshaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Matt Evins, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Matt Evins

Matt Evins

Hey guys I'm new to the HAMB and looking for some advice.
    So I scored a couple 354's recently and going through the inspection process.
    One had some water in the pan and has serious pitting on the outside of a couple of the crank throws.
    Its a 10/10 and the journals look fine.
    Question is ...clean it up and run it? Have it balanced?? Boat anchor?? Mailbox stand?
    Having went through the trials of a Nailhead build I didn't think anything could be more expensive or hard to find parts for....I was wrong!
    Thanks for any thoughts you guys might have

2. Hey Matt.Back up and fill out your profile page...IINTRODUCE YOURSELF..We like to know who has the same Interests.where you live.your age too...

3. alchemy

alchemy

Do the rust pits look worse than the natural grain of the crank surface? If no, I'd run it. You aren't going racing are you?

4. Pitts have little to do with balance in stock form. Bearing surface is much more important. Myself, I'd still be going forward.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.

5. My thoughts are the same as the above comments. Clean it up and run it.
    Bob

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. Matt Evins

Matt Evins

Thanks to those who replied....I was thinking run it...I'm m not racing...street only.....sorry didn't want offend anyone by not introducing myself......I'm white male redneck 46 yrs old southern Missouri...married two kids in college....been running dirt track and hot rods for 30 yrs now...didn't want to date anybodys daughter....just wanted some hemi info....if this is the wrong place to post please let me know

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Hay Matt, stick around. I don't think you've offended anyone, just curious minds like to know. Heck someone here might be a neighbor of yours with like mind that you haven't run into yet. Your doing just fine.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. Matt Evins

Matt Evins

Thanks.That first reply had me feeling like I snuck in the back door!

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

We don’t want to know about your kids, we want to know what cars the hemis are going into.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Don't throw it away!! If you don't want to run it I'll buy it from you........or take it to a machine shop see if it can be offset ground for BBC rod journal size and get them to nitride it. Grab some rods and go. But you need to see how bad it is first. Lippy

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Oh I missed the part about the journals being ok! Clean it up and run it. LOL. Lippy

gimpyshotrods and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  12. Matt Evins

Matt Evins

Are the early cranks forged? just wondering on that. I've read that the rods are forged and tough.
    Had a plan to build one good 354 for a 36 Ford truck finished in a kind of traditional style
    but....recently found a 34 Ford 3 window body been in primer in a barn for 30 years
    I'll never get that chance again (ever) so plans may change!!

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

the pits just holds more oil

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Yes ,,the early cranks were forged,,,,,and very good as well.
    Use it if at all possible!

Tommy