Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing seat back bulkhead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowbuckbuilder, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

in my Plymouth, there is a sheetmetal and wood “bulkhead” at the b-pillar, that the front seat-back leans against and that the seat pan butts/backs up to. I’m considering removing it to allow for bucket seats to be installed on sliders to allow for more legroom (Which my 4 door has gobs of).

Do i risk any structural integrity by removing? If so, i’d consider putting a spreader/harness bar back in to connect the B-pillars.

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Shouldn't be a problem structurally. Personally, I would simply move it back enough to allow your bucket seat installation. Doesn't that also serve as the close out for the trunk area?

3. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Hi, thx for the reply. The bulk head is at the b-pillar, and separates the front and back seating area’s. My car doesn't have a traditional trunk, per se.

4. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

2CBC7BDE-95D5-413C-8739-0B640D831EBE.jpeg Something like this

5. dan31

dan31

I feel your pain ,i have to change seat mounts ,pedal positions e.c.t , in just about everything i get. The truth is that if you don't feel comfortable driving it you well find reasons not to drive it.

6. If the front seat attaches to the center pillar then you have a problem......if it doesn't attach to the pillar then no problem..............that "bulkhead" as you call it is to my mind and understanding part of the seat and bolts to the floor only in most if not all closed cars..........in an open car, ie, a tourer or phaeton that "bulkhead" as you call it is generally part and parcel of the open car body shell and keeps the body from opening up in the center.........so how is the seat attached or installed in the car...........bolted only to the floor or do the pillars attach to the seat as I ask?............I'd also suggest looking at how a 2 dr sedan or coupe version of your Plymouth has its seat attached, the 2 door especially would be the one to look at as it should have separate seat backs to allow for entry into the rear seat and hence no attachment to the pillar...........andyd

7. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Sorry, you never mentioned the body style. I assumed a 2 door. All body styles have a "B" pillar, however, there's just different things going on behind the pillar. The manufacturer may have installed/designed that type of seat structure to serve 2 purposes, one being to give strength to center pillar.

8. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Ok, here’s the best pics i can find on my phone. Sorry for the lack of quality. You can see that it has a formed sheetmetal structure and is reinforced with wood on the top and bottom. Secured with fasteners at the b-pillar and on the floor, i believe.

471D5F32-74CA-473A-AB1B-8E84E71D2AF8.jpeg F217E01D-B074-44D1-8CC8-B06DAA722D65.jpeg

9. Well.....I'd undo the bolts at the pillar carefully and watch whether there is any movement by the pillar or doors becoming harder to open/close then decide on what to do...........andyd

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I would think that if it does give added rigidity to the body a bracket could be made that would tie the B pillar and floor together without much difficulty. I'd use 1/4" flat bar running most of the way up the B pillar and a 90' bend to the floor , with maybe a couple of gussets at th bend.

11. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

That's a great idea. thank you for suggesting it.

12. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Thanks, Andy. I got into this a bit last night and was doing exactly that. Took measurements "before" and loosened some of the hardware before running out of time with my other to-do tasks last night. I'll try the door test tonight.

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson