Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sand blasting cabinet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by upfberg, Sep 14, 2019.

1. upfberg

upfberg

Hello HAMBERS. A couple years ago I was trying to follow a sand blasting thread. People were kinda complaining about there windows frosting over fairly quickly when blasting. So a guy created a post a suggested putting a screen over the glass to protect it. I thought it made sense so I finally got around to it and tried it. I was a little concerned that it would obstruct the view some because you would be looking right there at it up close and in person for longer periods of time. so I made a frame from 1/2 by 1/2 aluminum channel from the hardware store just bigger than the window itself the wrapped it with some aluminum screen. I used those heavy duty spring paper clips to hold the screen in place. I've used my cabinet about three hours so far and it still looks I just put a new window protector on. The screen does not bother me at all when using the cabinet. I tried to find the thread I was originally looking at but couldn't find it. I would like to thank the cat that suggested it so thanks whoever you are. thanks HAMB. have a great day

Attached Files:

2. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

3. lake_harley

lake_harley

I might try that in mine. They do make black screen (plastic maybe?) and that would make it even easier to see through.

Lynn

4. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

They sell a roll of clear plastic that can be put between the glass and the cabinet. When it starts to haze over, you loosen the window and pull the plastic (mylar ?) thru to a new clear spot. It lasts a long time before you need to unroll more. You might have to do a little massage of the blaster where the window fits. Works great on mine.

5. If you put the clear plastic between the glass and the cabinet, you will just sandblast the glass, and have to replace the glass. I use the plastic sheet on the outside of the glass, and just replace the plastic when it is no longer clear.

flatford39 likes this.
  6. flatford39

flatford39

I do what you do and just change the plastic sheeting. I also keep a cheap paint brush in the booth to clean the glass while blasting. It helps quite a bit.

7. I have good results with the clear plastic underlay for the inside of the cabinet glass, they have peel & stick tape around the edge to adhere to the glass, 5 sheets for 15 bucks at Northen Tool, been using them for years. HRP

clear.png

TagMan likes this.
  8. Installed a screen on my cabinet last fall. Been blasting all summer, and the mylar overlay on the inside of the cabinet behind the screen is lasting way longer than it used to. I think installing the screen once is much better than changing the frosted and opaque overlays every couple hours of use.

9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I use a throwaway roll of overhead projector film. We were switching to Smart Boards so all th eoverhead projectors were being tossed. Anyway, when one film fogs up I just cut off another length. That roll has yards of material.