Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical remove a wheel stud for measuring knurl, can I re-use it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by error404, Sep 14, 2019.

1. error404

error404
    from CA

I put wider wheels and tires on the rear of 33 Chevy truck, and they are slightly rubbing the side of the bed when the suspension flexes hard. I think If I had just 1/2" more space on the wheels it would be perfect. My plan is to get some longer wheel studs and use a 1/2" spacer on each rear wheel. The studs right now aren't long enough for a spacer.

My rear end is an 8.8 Ford (I think), as I went to order wheel studs I realized that there are a variety of diameters to the knurled part of the studs. So I guess I need to remove one to measure it.

After I remove a stud to measure the knurl diameter, is there any reason why I couldn't re-use the stud, driving it for a few days before the new ones arrive?

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My only worry is that it will spin when tightening or loosening the wheel other than that no problem.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I find they don't always go back in straight once they have been seated. I just got a new set of studs to fix my rather strange bolt pattern.

4. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Minus one stud should not hurt anything. Don’t race the car or drive crazy. I’ve had broken studs before and never really hurried to fix it. I’m sure someone will argue with my suggestion. But one or two days?

Boneyard51 and Hnstray like this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

IMO, if you mark the stud 'head', indexing it's position to the flange, you can reinstall it as it was fitted. I really doubt that will cause you any problem with unwanted rotation of the stud. Be sure the studs and lug nuts are clean, non-rusty and threads are in good condition.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  6. Follow the impression and serrations and install it like splines. You’ll be fine or have to burn it off.

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Clock mark it with sharpie before removing it, reinstall with green loctite.

da34guy and LWEL9226 like this.
  8. error404

error404
    from CA

thanks fellas :)

9. What Big Deuce said

10. A tack weld on the back of the stud would help it not to turn.

11. If you use a torque wrench, you'll know if the stud turns or not.

12. error404

error404
    from CA

some folks look at me funny when I pull out a torque wrench to finish tightening lug nuts, but I always have. I see no reason not to :)

The Shift Wizard and Hnstray like this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

and Honest Ray previously said in post#5..........hey, "it's a poor dog who won't wag his own tail" :D

Ray

14. error404

error404
    from CA

Well well well, hah! I was removing the wheels and putting on the old skinny ones, and one of the nuts came off difficult, somehow the threads were boogered, can't get a nut back on it.

So it looks like I found which stud I'll be removing to measure :D

Boneyard51 and Hnstray like this.