Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drive ability

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hd1084, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Just looking for a little advice on what the drive ability would be for a 1937 Ford coupe with a flat head, original 3 speed, and original rear end. It does have a mustang front end with disc brakes. I know it all depends on what flat head motor and what rear gears but just looking for a little advice on what kind of speeds I could be looking at and what distance trips would be able to do ? Pics of the car attached.. 69544573_10211491708608207_6655126256935239680_n.jpg 69623614_10211491710408252_8394831493511249920_n.jpg

2. Use a 5 speed transmission and open drive rear axle and you can drive a flathead at highway speeds with confidence. HRP

3. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

That's sharp! I'd drive the wheels off that car. Probably doesn't haul ass anywhere, but I'd sure drive it as far as I wanted.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

firstinsteele, hd1084 and phelan9251 like this.
  4. Yep, the 5-speed would make it a world of difference and something that can be driven anywhere

gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. I know a 5 speed trans would be an easy transplant but it won't work with the original rear and that would take some doing to change out ??

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods and hd1084 like this.
  7. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Nice car! Go drive it and see what happens!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. clo

clo

T-170 overdrive would work well. You would have to shorten torque tube a couple inches.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

answer to your question - driveability will be fine around town and side highways - don't plan on hitting the main highways at 70-80 MPH -

Cosmo50 likes this.
  10. 55-60 ??

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

best to go over to the Ford barn to get help figuring out rear gears, etc to calculate top speed -

12. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

A friend of mine put a Mitchell overdrive in the torque tube in his flathead powered 40 coupe and can keep up with interstate traffic with no problems. Not cheap but is a complete bolt in setup, replaces the torque tube and drive shaft, I believe it's a 30 % overdrive. With a 30" tall tire @ 60 mph and the stock 3:78 rearend it is turning 2450 rpm, with the Mitchell it is turning 1800 rpm with 30% overdrive.

13. error404

error404
    from CA

I drove my 46 Willys across the US and back, around 6000 miles doing a maximum of 60mph cruising. If you're comfortable being passed by cars doing 15+ faster than you, 55-60 is perfectly fine.

papadaddio likes this.
  14. Crayons

Crayons

If you decide on a 5 speed like what has been suggested, consider the first gear....I didn't. Put 5 speed behind my 327 in my 51... (87 S10 w/V6). rear end ratio 4:11. Cannot get across the intersection without having to shift to 2nd....place sad emoji here.

clem and bonneville bones like this.
  15. error404

error404
    from CA

there can be an advantage to that, in a manual transmission. Just drive it like a truck or a jeep with a real low 1st gear. Don't use 1st gear for normal driving, take off in 2nd all the time.

But the advantage comes when you need to drive very slowly, like say in heavy traffic (or for offroad vehicles, when you need to crawl over boulders). Just idle along in 1st gear not touching any pedal. I drive my jeeps like that, 1st gear idles along nice and slow in traffic. Just think of it as a 4 speed, with an extra low gear if you need it. :) I've actually become fond of gear ratios that leave me an extra low gear that I don't use during normal driving.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be inclined to do and open drive conversion and a 5 speed. Some S-10 5 speeds had better 5th gear OD ration than others did though.
    Or just stay off the freeways and two lane it.

papadaddio and gimpyshotrods like this.
  17. Thanks, Looks like a very good option !!

18. Ya gotta remember at one time that was a Brand New Car. People bought them and drove cross country and took long vacations in them. Other than better roads and more traffic what's changed?

19. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What changed? Smart phones and texting drivers on cruise control driving 15 to 20+ MPH over the speed limit.

papadaddio likes this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Dumb question,
    Along with better hi -ways with way more traffic volume we have much more technologically advanced vehicles capable of higher speeds and shorter stopping distances better handling etc.

Those factors alone make it foolish to make a statement like that.

What's changed :rolleyes:

Add in distracted drivers and it's way different than it was back in 1937.

21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

No one has mentioned the Columbia rear end! Would keep it traditional and solve the OP problems, with bolt in stuff. I have seem some fairly reasonable lately. Just sold mine I had for thirty years for $1500.

Bones

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

I think @loudpedal and his brother are making T5 conversation kits to run with torque tube cars.

Find them on IG @saltcityspeedshop

23. If your driving skill level hasn't improved to compensate with the points you have pointed out then a person shouldn't be driving anything at all.
    Dumb Question? No, just smart ass comments

24. v8flat44

v8flat44

If the engine is an 8BA, a good old Borg Warner overdrive would be my choice. Bolt right to the engine, no adapter ...... floor shift might be difficult, but 3 on the tree is still cool. You can drive like a three speed or use the o/d. m

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No, dumb question.

Would you jump out into interstate traffic and try to run the fast lane with your improved driving skills with a stock restored Model T?

Or even a model A ?

Why not? What’s changed?

Your statement was that they were once new cars and you pretty much implied that if they were okay to travel with then that they should be okay now.

Don’t be a dumb ass. :p :D :D

The37Kid and dana barlow like this.
  26. I think it looks beautiful,,,drive it!!!

Ask yourself these questions.

Is the engine dependable and well maintained.
    Good ignition and carb,,fuel systems.
    What is the oil usage,,,handy to know for long driving trips.
    Good power and plenty of top speed.

Is the tranny in good condition,,any noises or bearing sounds.
    The clutch and related components all in good order.

How is the rearend,,,all good and no unusual noises to be concerned with.

Then the most important for a long drive,,road trip.
    How does it drive and sit,,the interior comfort.
    Is it comfortable for an extended drive,,,maybe several hundred miles.

Only you can answer these things.
    I wouldn’t worry about highway speed,,,you will probably drive at your own pace.
    Yes,,,,a lot of traffic is scary,,not just for an old car,,,even with new ones!
    If you want to cruise at 80 on the interstate,,,perhaps this car is not for you.

I think it is gorgeous,,,,you are lucky to have it!
    Drive it and see how you like it.
    Like they said,,,,years ago,,,these were driven everywhere,,,on some really bad roads too.

Tommy

Petejoe and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That’s really straw man argument. Who drives a stock modelT on the interstate? Besides minimum speed on US interstates is 45 mph unless otherwise posted.

In typical net forum fashion a subject....(in this case driving a 37 Ford)... is sensationalized by fears real and imagined.

This car in question has a V8.
    This car has MII front suspension which means it has juice brakes with disks up front.
    This car has a 3 speed and stock?? rear axle.
    The only limiting factor is gear ratio.

By the OP’s description, this car is as viable on the road as anything made in the 50s-60s. It’s not like it’s a stovebolt Chevy that tops at 50 and will throw a rod at 65 if pushed too long at that speed.

Per description this slightly updated car should drive very well.

It is a Ford V8.

Jet96, jimgoetz, flatheadpete and 5 others like this.
  28. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

cheap way is to put larger tires on rear, will make big difference. have a model A w/3.78 rear, 21 in wheels, i put in a BW overdrive,it was geared so hi i couldn't use the OD untill i put on a set of 6.00x16 wheels, then it geared it down enough to run in mountains and all. i put those 21 in tires on my other model A w/BW ovdrive, but put a 4.11 gear in rear, it runs great, also have flthead rdst pu w/26 tooth linc. grs and columbia w/4.44 gears, 7.00x16 trs, linc gears aMUST w/4.44's,. my flthead T cpe w/standard 39 ford grs, w/columbia and 4.11 grs, and 7.00X16, is good also. building a 34 rdst now w/331 cad eng , w/HD BW t-85 od, 4.11 rear grs. tire size ?? don't kno yet. overdrive is the answer...

29. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

I'm guessing that car has 3:78's in the rear. The easiest fix is to change those out to a set 3:54's and run a 29"-30" tire out back. You will have no problem running 70mph. I have run this combination on several early Fords with great success.

30. Tutashen

Tutashen

pretend your 16 and drive it find out :) the not knowing is the fun part um take some tools an spare parts lmao