Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do I fix this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FordRoadster, Sep 9, 2019.

1. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Well, I went to remove this support and as I took the first bolt out, heard a distinct clink. Turns out, the nut behind the fiberglass holding this on was loose, and dropped down into no man's land. The only way to get to it is removing the dash and part of the interior, which I don't really want to do. Does anyone know a way to secure these bolts back in place? I was thinking of using a drill and bit to cut a shallow hole into the fiberglass and epoxying a nut into the fiberglass, but not sure how that will hold. Is there a specialized bolt, like what you would use in sheetrock that can grip into the side or back of the fiberglass? Bolt is 1/4". Kinda at a loss here. Thanks for the help in advance!

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. Gangrene

Gangrene

Try a nutsert I have used them on fiberglass hoods

loudbang, FordRoadster and pprather like this.
  3. loudbang likes this.
  4. You could probably use a T-nut, used in wood in chairs etc. Some have spikes, some just flanges. Glass or epoxy, or panel adhesive will help bond them in place.

loudbang and FordRoadster like this.

5. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Thanks for the advice. I don't think there is more than an inch or so of room behind the fiberglass. Not sure how I would get one, much less two in there.

loudbang likes this.
  6. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Thanks, any specific way to install them in this application? I've watched a few videos where they use the tool to tighten them, but concerned the fiberglass will crack.

loudbang likes this.
  7. You need the exploding type rivnut.
    They are hollow and create wings when installed. The solid ones will do exactly as you fear crack the FG.
    24150D36-87B0-4A21-B093-3222EB8C746C.png

8. How much stress is going to be on that? Fiberglass likes a big flat washer on its nuts and bolts. Anything else will tend to nibble away at the 'glass if there's the slightest bit of movement.
    Ideally, a thin block of wood/metal/plastic epoxied inside, then your nutsert or fastener of choice, could be placed from the outside.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    G-son likes this.
  9. is there any access at all to the back side? even a small hole/slot? I have made plates with hole/s tapped into them and welded a welding wire to it as a handle to slide into tight spots. an extra hole drilled the plate with a countersunk screw will keep it in place if the bolt/s have to be removed again. once done the wire can be twisted off so it doesn't make noise.

loudbang and The Shift Wizard like this.
  10. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

Well, it holds the support that holds the front cowl/radiator assembly. Without tearing out the inside dash, I don't have access to the back.

loudbang likes this.
  11. FordRoadster

FordRoadster

I'd have to remove quite a bit of the dash, inside panel between door and firewall in order to reach that area from the inside.

12. Gangrene

Gangrene

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  13. Gangrene

Gangrene

I would use a nutsert like the one on the right they expand from the back like a pop rivet and wont put to much strain on the glass. Make your hole just large enough to get it in there, then set it

FordRoadster and pprather like this.
  14. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Do it right now, or beat yourself up later when you have to redo it, repair cracked fiberglass and repaint it.

dana barlow likes this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It's pretty much been covered but just thought I would jamb my foot in the door and give a little support to another fiberglass body owner.

FordRoadster likes this.
  16. Simplest way . HRP

17. koolbeans

koolbeans

IMHO......and experienced.....never ever use a nutrsert for anything alone in fiberglass unless you are pulling up to a piece of metal, stationary and secured....steel or aluminum.
    First study how it works. Lots of sources all over the internet. It will not work in fiberglass. The substrate glass will collapse/crush and make the attachment useless.
    Second I would if room make a nut plate. A plate with four nuts welded to it. Two nuts spread apart to each end to allow two flat heads to pull up to the glass. The other two laid out to your existing two bolts.
    When all sinched you then have a spread load.
    Time and time again have drilled those rascals out because of no grip and have spun in the fiberglass. Urg....a cusser at best.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app