Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stromberg 97's Big n Little

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Hunter, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

So I've got my eye on some 97's. Can you tell me (hopefully with side by side pics) the difference between the small and big logo 97's? What are the other differences? Which is more desirable and why? I appreciate any schooling.....Thanks!

2. The carburetors are the same internally. The large logo has a raised 97 on a round pad, about 1/2- 9/16 " diameter. The small logo 97 does not have this round pad, but just 97 in smaller numbers raised on the carburetor body.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  3. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Small logo are earlier than big logo

Barn Hunter likes this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

5. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Thanks for the lesson. A picture is worth a thousand words. Seems like the large logo is more sought after. Is it just the "look" of the raised pad. I can see that as I've got a degree in graphic design.

Moriarity likes this.
  6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And Ford numbers...look at the pic:
    The small logo carb has a small "67" right above the "97". That is the FORD part number ID, carb 67-9510 in Fordspeak. The other carb has a "48" on the top casting, denoting it as a top from a 48 carb which is usable but incorrec for the 97...it lacks the extra hole and pin on the choke/idle speed link that helped keep it steady on 97 and 81 carbs when not in use.
    We use a crazy hash of numbers on these carbs, which causes no trouble because we have all learned the code.
    40 and 48 come from Ford part numbers...and no one knows the 40 exists. 52 and 67 go here, but we use OTHER designations for those carbs!
    81 and 97 were just the throat sizes for those carbs, not numbers used for anything by either Stromberg or Ford.
    And the two most familiar carbs, the 81 and the 97, started their USA careers as carbs sold over the counter by Ford to improve fuel economy on delivery vehicles!

7. Bruce to the rescue again.

Barn Hunter likes this.