Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edelbrock TM 1 torker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vetteson, Sep 6, 2019.

1. vetteson

vetteson

I recently purchased a rebuilt SBC 283 that came with an Edelbrock TM1 torker installed. Will this manifold be ok for ordinary street use? The 283 will have headers and a Rochester 4GC, otherwise stock.

loudbang likes this.
  2. 26Troadster

26Troadster

being a single plane i would get a divider to fit under the carb in the opening to try to help on bottom end. you would be better with a two plane intake imo.

loudbang likes this.
  3. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Edelbrock TM manifolds are the Tarantula series. They are one step higher in RPM range than the Torquer. I don't think it's too suited for a 283. If you are going to use a 4GC. I would find one of those intakes. Gene.

4. 1ton

1ton

Wheres the burn out guy. He might want it.

Deuces, 56shoebox, RMR&C and 2 others like this.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What's the rest of the engine and car entail? Aftermarket cam and pistons, manual transmission, and at least 3.73-ish rear end gears? Or, a big land yacht, with a small engine, a stock converter/Powerglide, and 3.08 gears? One will work OK, the other not so much. My DD truck, that weighs in at around 4660 lbs, with a stroker 305 (334 CID via a cut down 400 crank), TH-400 trans, and 3.73 gears is "OK" around town, but a lot better on the freeway; it has your same manifold with an AFB/Edelbrock made from three different carburetors.. If you were't on the other side of the country, I'd trade a 2101 Performer for your intake manifold. Still will if you pay the shipping for both, and I'll throw in the Quadrajet already mounted to mine. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Ran them on the street with absolutely no problems. One of my favorite old skool intakes. Don't listen to that "need a dual plane for the street" crap.
    SPark

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I ran a TM-1 in my '53 F-100 for the 13 years I owned it (1979-1992), 327 with 350 horse cam, turbo 400, original F-100 rear end (3.92 gears). I loved it.

8. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bunch of stuff "will work" but that doesn't mean it's right. Some years ago I built a .060 283 for a guy's' '70 Camaro. 462 heads,30-30 cam,TM-1 intake and a 660 center squirt Holley. It's what the guy had. The car ran pretty good. But was it right? I don't think so. Gene.

9. X-cpe

X-cpe

Anything can be "right" within a certain set of parameters. On the street, if it will start easily (hot & cold), idle at a reasonable RPM, accelerate smoothly (easy or hard), cruise without a hiccup, and decelerate without cutting off, how can that be wrong, even if not the "best"? Sometimes best exceeds the pocketbook.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  10. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not everyone can afford the best, I agree. But if better is easily atainable. Why wouldn't you do it??

11. I have three of the torker manifolds in the hoard. I would trade all three of them for one winters Z28 intake. A dual plane intake is better for street use. I have a stock 283 in my 55 at present. It has hedders and a 625 CFM edelbrock carb mounted with a adapter to the stock 4GC intake. I seen no need or advantage to be gained by installing one of my torker intakes on it. I built a 327 for it. and I used a C4B edelbrock dual plane intake. chevy stuff 029.JPG

enloe likes this.