Register now to get rid of these ads!

what made chrysler 300 so hot??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Jan 24, 2009.

1. johnl

johnl

To make a correction here. Of the 1102 Letter Cars 31 were 3 speed sticks, about 21 or 22 Torqueflite and the rest were the 2 speed Powerflite. This was the only year that Chrysler offered three different transmissions in the eleven years of Letter Car production.

2. F500

F500

working on getting info on the 2 (3?) 57 300Cs that Carl Kiekhaefer bought to run at Road America so that I can make a scale model of one of them.

the story is that they were converted to racing form but then he withdrew the cars. they were then put back to 'street' version. Kiekhaefer himself then drove one and one of his business associates drove the other. I've read conficting stories that there were 2 or 3. I know one was black and the other was a special order gray. if there was a 3rd one, I have no idea what color it was. I have some pics of the gray one being restored to its race version in Kansas, but not near enough to pull off this model accurately.

if anyone has any pics or info on them, please pass it on. you can never have too many pics or info when trying to reproduce a scale model of an actual car. :)

3. F500

F500

Bobby Allison????

I'll agree with Tim Flock but what did Bobby Allison have to do with the Chrysler 300?

the only Mopars I can recall him in were the Mario Rossi's Dodges in the day (69 and/or 70) but I don't think he was driving in NASCAR when the 300's were racing in 55 and 56.

4. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Two things to consider. After building everything else the feel and sound and torque of a Hemi cannot be beat. Throw in the "LOOK" and it's still the king. Put a blower on it and nothing compares or comes close. Walk around a car show and listen to see how many times you here "wow it's got a Hemi".

Now the warning. Once you've gone Hemi you can never go back to vanilla.

Oh and add Nitro and it's the only choice.
    Dan

5. krooser

krooser

Bobby Allison drove for Carl Kiekhaefer as a test driver. They had a 1/2 mile dirt track set-up close to Mercury marine's headquarters in Fond du lac, WI. They tested summer and winter... even drove the cars to the track in race trim.

My memory's a little foggy but I think I remember Bobby saying he drove some NASCAR stuff for him, too.

6. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

Just bought a 300B in black one over here in Germany! Great car!
    Needs other rims though!

[​IMG]

7. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

How do I know if it's 340 or 355 hp? Head castings?

8. Hyfire

Hyfire

Looks good.
    That car doesn't need new rims though, it needs some stock hubcaps! :D

9. Make it a gasser!

Just kidding- its beautiful.
    Yes on the hub caps.

10. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

It NEEDs other rims!!!! U haven't seen what's on it right now! 80's chrome wheels, that make u shake u'r head. How could anybody put sth. like this on any car.

I will put on wide stock rims without hubcaps I guess, like the Stock car versions. Hubcaps u won't really find on any of my cars! I do not like it when I can't see the wheel bolts. Exept for the Spinners on Wires look good too.

A mild Gasser Style will be checked out. I have whitewall slicks and 60's mags ;) I think that could look wild. Car will be delivered these days. Will keep u posted if u want.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  11. Heads are the same. The 340 hp has 9:1 compression pistons, 355 hp has 10:1 compression pistons.

12. Great reading.....I love this particular off brand.....
    This one sits in my cave ..waiting.....392 Hemi...I know, it aint stock, like I care...:D

[​IMG]

13. scotts52

scotts52

Old thread but a great read and wealth of information.

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

Compression ratios were the same solid vs hydraulic cam and the 300s were rated at 800 more RPM.