Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 i6 cam replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick bill, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Just drill the holes, don't trash a decent 216 just to get the mount plate. I'll probably start a war of words using decent and 216 in the same sentence!:eek:

Old wolf and 6inarow like this.
  2. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

got my new cam yesterday .waiting now for the mach. shop to swap the gears .says he doesn't have a press big enough so he needs to heat it up to remove. should I let him ? can I heat/ remove myself ? find a different shop ? thnx

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You are reusing your old cam gear? Why? Everybody else just buys a new one.

4. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

because its in good shape ! its worn in to the crank gear .! the cam had one bad lobe , and im on a budget . ! car will not be drove 10k before I die ! so WHY would I replace it. but , that WASNT the question ,so thx

5. Hel no don't let him touch you cam. take it someplace that has a press.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  6. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

a friend , and I removed the cam gear , and installed it on the new cam . . on his advice I drilled a 1/4 in. hole between the gear ,and the cam . then tapped it with 5/16 th . put in a bolt about 3/4 long , and cut the head of flush . gear will NEVER be reused again !! not sure it needed to be done . but he said the gears have walked off the cam on him and others , so he always does it . cheap insurance . should have it running today . if its ever going ta ! wish me luck , mtrs all ready to come out of the 41 , so the coupe is on the way ,after 40 yrs. of hybernation !!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Old wolf likes this.
  7. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

well got the mtr. together . runs great .amazing what a difference having 12 lobes makes . pulled the mtr out of the 41 so time to start putting things back together .should I drill holes in the frame and use the 62 mount , or drill holes in the 62 front mount and use the 41 stock mounts . the 62 seams like a better mount if it will work . thnx for any advice .

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

http://1954advance-design.com/Stovebolt-engine/casting-numbers.html
    The above link gives you the casting numbers.
    All 215, 235 and 261 engines had timing gears and NO chain.

A 261 can be identified by what looks like a captain's bars cast in the block above the starter.
    The biggest problem with changing the cam in the vehicle is the cam's length. I've seen more than straight six Chevy from the 235 era with a hole torched in the grill to get the cam out though without taking the grill out. A couple of my grill bars came from one of those grills though.

9. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

thnx for the link !

10. indianbullet

indianbullet
    from Ca

Here is a pretty good link to this fellows build. With the exception of bead blasting internal engine components, doing that makes every Machinist butthole twitch. Other than that a very good read. He put a lot of time and work into it.

http://devestechnet.com/Home/Project1959235

11. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

thnx . mtr has already been identified .62 235 , p/u . solid lftr . , with a flat cam on cyl. 3 ,exhast lobe of the cam flat cam replaced . 41 mtr. removed . 62 c10 p/u removed and repaired . as stated in the beginning !!!just trying to switch the ntr. mounts . from 41 / 216 to a 1962 c10o 235 .235 is being installed in the 41.i have torch / sled hammer , just looking for ease!!

12. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

well just waiting on parts now . anyone use the split headers . ? do they sound as good as fentons . ? the price is sure better ! found a set on ebay for 59.99 with free shipping . and they are stainless .got to be a catch ,right!! anyway waiting on the clutch aswell . and I need new mtr mounts frnt and rear . looks like chev of the 40s is the only game . kanter has them for 4x the price

Old wolf likes this.