Register now to get rid of these ads!

,,,AND IN THIS CORNER...WEIGHING LESS THAN 1400lbs...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Jun 19, 2006.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...the new challenger for 'King of The Frickin' Hambsters' :p ..."The Crooked 6"!!...take a bow Shawn(applause)...:rolleyes: ...now tell everyone who and what you are...:eek:

Attached Files:

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That thing is friggin' AWESOME... I can't wait to see it takin' off down Mokan...

3. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Bad ass!!!!!

4. We shelved our slant 6 project because of all the whining..........but that thing is very cool! Congrats for ignoring all the flack.

5. " Super-bitchin' " :D

6. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

7. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

Thanks for the kudo's! I have been busting my ass on this thing all winter and spring. Fired it up the other day with that stock 1 bbl and it sounded cool as hell!!!!! Working out the details on a 4 bbl and hope to refire it tonight or tomorrow. Once that part is done, it is off to paint. I have tried to stay true to the 'spirit of the bug' as much as possible. Most everything on that car is boneyard parts, or things I fabricated myself(scary!!! :eek:) I started down the path of having an intake fabricated, but having someone else do it for me seemed counter to the spirit.

1968 slant 6 225 bored over a little, shaved the deck a little and ended up with some pretty killer compression. Stock 64 3 speed tranny, ford 8inch rear end, wheels off of a early 70's cordoba, stock 1932 front end, etc etc. I will give more details once it is on the track. I have to keep some secrets from the competition:eek: That way I have some good bragin once I kick all their asses!!!!:eek::eek::D:D

So, long story short, that is my car. Built by me, a guy who has never built or raced a car. pretty crazy, eh?:D

8. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

9. brewsir

brewsir

Lookin damn good! I want to do one for next year the more I see !!
    One question though...I thought the overhead six had to be pre 62 ? Or is that a question I should not start?

10. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

1968 engine?

4 barrel carb?

HA/GR?

11. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

since there was no mods to the motor from 59 to 72, it is an 'approved' engine.

12. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

DOH! You need bigger pics! :D

13. Phule

Phule

Damn that thing looks like it would be fun to build and run.

14. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Cool.

Is the 4 barrel an approved mod?

15. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

a 4 barrel was an option in 1960 hyperpacks, so i'm told. my dad was 3 back then, so I have to rely on heresay.

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...the carb is from 1962, so I don't see why not...

17. I forgot, who is in charge of the approval?

18. brewsir

brewsir

Very cool (I hate rules anyway!)

19. I ran a bored-to-243" slant six in this thing in '66. The stock intake had the carb mount area hogged out and an adaptor plate bolted on it to accept an AFB 4-barrel. This might work for you.

Attached Files:

20. KCsledz

KCsledz

Love it!!! Can't wait to see it in person!

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

fuck the rules, just bring it and run it...

22. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

That is basically the intake I am running, from what you describe. it is the clifford performance 4 bbl intake which looks identical to a stock intake, just a bigger hole.

23. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

:D:D:D:D:D:D

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm impressed!
    Great job, the dragster looks KILLER !

25. There's no rule about that car running at the HAMB Drags, bring it and have fun.

But there are rules for the HA/GR class... and unless it is built by the rules, you won't be allowed to compete in that class.

The reason the class has rules is to keep the cars pure... sticking to the rules is for the good and the purity of the class.

That means... no modern 4 barrel carbs and no 6 cylinders made after 1961.

A slant 6 in '61 was a 170 cu in motor, right? Well... I think it would be ok to run a '62 170... or a '65 170... but a 225? If it was available in '61, sure... if not... no.

I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails... but, we have to think about the other guys in the group and the other guys out there building cars. Someone shows up with a car that doesn't play by the rules, and then on top of that, they kick everyone's ass... then the other's are going to say "why bother?"

Also, if the inlines start to run away from the flathead guys... I could see the rationale for splitting the class.

Sam.

26. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

The 225 was available in 1960. The block is the same from 1960 to 1972. I thought this was already hashed out and decided that I would be ok?

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I agree with Sam... and at the sametime... fuck the rules - that thing will be fun as all hell to watch go down the track. Cool car for sure.

Looking at it, the only rule issue is the carb right? That motor is exactly the same as speced in '62/61? If I were you, I'd bring both carbs and run it both ways for shits and giggles...

As for those stressed about classes... I didn't really get involved too highly with this stuff for a reason. Sam did a good job setting base rules that we can use for a few years as cars get built to spec. As you guys race these things and figure out ways around the rules that we currently have, we (or you guys) will build classes to suit all the differentiations.

Point being, if we do this right there should be room for just about everyone eventually... And until then, it's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Am I off base? Open source racing classes? :)

28. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

WOOH that thing is super cool...NEAT

29. SHHHH! you gotta be quite about the Cordoba wheels... We don't want to have to pay $100 each from now on do ya?

They do look good with the wide whites don't they...:D. I got a pair for the front of my 46. I've got some shannon cones to cover the raised boss for the center cap and the holes and I'll blend in the 1/16" deep decorative line. The Cordobas have a slightly shallower look than the T-bird/LTD/Lincoln wheels I have, so the Mopars will go up front on the Volare rotors.

30. If it is available in '61... that's cool, run it...

How about MAKING an intake to run a few 1 barrel carbs, or a couple of two barrels?

Sam.