Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Heater core repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gremlinguy, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

The heater Core on my 63 Rambler American is in need of repair. Cant find a new one, and the AMC vendors arent much help for my year.
    Does anyone have a shop they recommend I can send mine to and have it repaired?

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

3. Some radiator shops can repair them, I've had several fixed locally by one.

4. Do you have a old school radiator shop where you live, the real repair shops can usually repair a core. HRP

5. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

I havent been able to find any close by.

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Brass Works...................................................
    https://www.thebrassworks.net/heater-cores.html

Heater corer's usually don't spring a leak in the core like a radiator but the top and bottom tanks can separate and leak. Most shops will just order or cut a core, clean tanks and solder back together............................

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Gremlinguy likes this.
  7. Some heater cores are easily modified to fit a new application. A hole saw, some pennies to block off old holes, and some copper tube for odd bends, and a big-assed soldering iron.

Truck64, irishsteve and little red 50 like this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can't find a local shop, these guys can do it and they ship. I've had them repair a radiator in a '40 ford big truck and also modify a '39 Ford p/u radiator. Quality work, fair prices IMO.
    http://fontanaradiator.net/

Gremlinguy and Blues4U like this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thanks for the link.

Gremlinguy likes this.
  10. farna

farna

Best bet is to go through a catalog and find something of similar size. I know a couple of the AMC guys have swapped in other cores -- that one is pretty easy to do due to heater location -- but I don't recall what they used. Easy to mod where the inlet/outlet is -- as long as you don't mind drilling the fiberglass cover.