Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 fairlane fuse box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WILLIAMPARDELL, Jun 20, 2011.

1. WILLIAMPARDELL

WILLIAMPARDELL
    from CHICAGO

Hey guys i need some help. Just got this car 55 ford fairlane and i am looking for fuse box. I dont have key for glove box so if it is there i will have to get into it somehow.
    Thanks for any help bill

2. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

is it possibly on end of headlight switch?

3. There is NO fuse box in a '55 Ford. Fuses are either mounted in-line for the device being powered, i.e. radio, or on the device itself, i.e. headlight switch, overdrive relay.

Best thing you can do re. electrical system is obtain a reprint of the '55 Ford Electrical Assembly Manual from Jim Osborn Reproductions, and of course the factory shop manual. Electrical Assembly Manual has schematics and pictorial diagrams for wiring looms, behind-dash areas, etc.

4. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

My headlights that are not working also, maybe I should pull the light switch and have a look. My 56 ford was wrecked in 20012. The previous owner found a low mileage 55 mainline and upgraded the car to a 56. It has a fuse box under the hood on a fender well. There are 4 fuses in that box and they are all good, but my headlights are not working. I looked around the headlight switch and there is a mess of wires in that area. Another problem, if I turn the parking lights on, the right hand turn signal bulb lights up with a solid light. That may be the turn signal and the parking light wires are reversed.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Purchase a color coded wiring schemtic for www.CLASSICCARWIRING..com Its laminated 11 x 17" and has everything you ever needed to check your wiring. Less than $20.00

6. I see a lot of circuit tracing and troubleshooting in your future... or a complete rewire more likely.

7. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IIRC, the fuse on the light sw is for the running/turn/brake lights. The headlights themselves are on a self resetting circuit breaker. Don’t remember if that’s in the sw or mounted elsewhere. The wiring diagram will tell you.

Crazy Steve is right about the future. Double check the grounds at the lighting sockets. Bad grounds make some interesting to find gremlins.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Miker, the fuse to the flasher always screwed my 56 lighting..

9. BJR

BJR

Time to buy a new aftermarket wiring harness and redo the wiring. It's old and brittle. Save yourself a lot of problems in the future and do it now. I recommend Kwik Wire. That's what I used in my 49 Buick and it was an easy install.

10. Jakes38

Jakes38

Check the dimmer switch on the floor. Power from the switch travels to the dimmer first.

11. X2 on the dimmer switch. Headlights on my '55 Ford went out at 6:00 AM on a dark winter morning and plunged me into pitch darkness one time. Traced the problem to the dimmer switch.

12. I used a Kwik Wire on my '59 Ford, GREAT instructions and I had no problems that I wasn't able to figure out.