Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from New York

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Boden, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Boden

Boden

Hello. My name is Boden. I have been in the H.A.M.B. for a few months now. And I didn’t know I was able to introduce myself. So I am 13 years old. My grandparents bought me a 1973 vw beetle for $850 when I was 11 as a birthday and Christmas present that counted towards the next two years. I broke the motor free and it smoked and ran like crap I rebuilt the motor and brakes on that and had it online for 5500. My grandma became very attached to it and bought it off me. Meanwhile I was drooling over this 53 ford Tudor sedan. I asked them to spot me the 2500 for it and they agreed. So I gave them the bug and they gave me the ford and $1200 and we called it even. We got the ford home and I was already trying to get it running before my dads coffee cup was full. We worked all day and couldn’t get it running. We did a compression check and the passengers side bank was all dead. I pulled the head and checked for stuck valves and they were all good. And the head wasn’t warped. And me being the anxious kid I pulled the motor. The next month I went to the junkyard and came home with a Merc motor. I got the crank and some valvetrain parts out of that. I picked the best parts out of both motors and cleaned everything up. I also work at a machine shop 3 days out of the week 8:00am to 3:30 pm. I get payed $8 a hour and make $200 a week. I also get free machining. So we bored the block out .040 over and and sent the cam out for a SU1A grind. I also sent the crank out for a cut also. My uncle gave me a set of sharp heads for it and I completely cleaned them and milled em flat. Took about .015 to get em flat. That is what I am currently up to. I sandblasted everything and painted everything. I also cut the springs in the front one coil. And redid the brakes. The car came originally with a. Fordomatic. I want to put a 5 speed in it. I have the Merc flywheel and bellhousing. So I might make a adapter plate and make it work. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong time ere. I should she been born In the early 40s this way u could be driving in the 50s I watch American graffiti like it is my religion. I listen to 50 music when I working on my car or when I am doing anything. I wear engineer boots with blue jeans cuffed at the bottom and a whit t-shirt and a “DA”.

I am very eager to learn and soak up everything you old hot rodders know. I am very respectful and if I ever show disrespect or come off disrespectful don’t hesitate to tell me. I can take a joke. If I asked a stupid question. Call me a dope or tell me that was stupid. Haha. But really I am very happy to be a part of this community and I am eager to learn a lot.

Sincerely,
    Boden

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  2. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. Boden.

3. Boden

Boden

Thank you

4. Hey Boden

Great to see young guys into the older stuff...I am about 20 minutes North of Albany NY in Mechanicville NY. Looks like you gotta handle on the old cars already.

Welcome to the chaos.

MikeC

Boden likes this.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Not that’s a hell of an introduction.
    Boden, I can see in the future your going to be instrumental in keeping the H.A.M.B. and the tradition alive when we old farts are gone.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

Boden likes this.
  6. Boden

Boden

Yep. That’s what god made me for. I think. Haha

Truckdoctor Andy and Petejoe like this.
  7. Boden

Boden

Thanks a lot. I grew up around it. And most of my brain knows cars and math. That’s awesome we live somewhat close. We should go to each others garages some time. And talk shop and look at each others projects.

8. catdad49

catdad49

Quite an intro! With your attitude and work ethic you should go far in whatever your future has in store. I spent my first 49 yrs. in Hudson Falls (except for a temporary stay in Uncle Sam's Army and all expenses paid trip to SE Asia). Plenty of time to build stuff in the winter if you can keep the shop warm enough. Sounds like you have a supportive family, believe that definitely helps. Share some of your builds, some of us old guys might get reinspired!

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Boden likes this.
  10. Boden

Boden

Haha. Definitely. I have a little space heater. But I wear a leather jacket. And I don’t mind the cold because I’m working on my car. Haha.

11. Boden

Boden

Yes sir. Turning 14 on October 22

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

Please post more on your progress. This week, my 14 year old nephew came to live with us and go to school in Canada this fall. He knows absolutely nothing about our hot rod obsession. Wonder if I can convert him? Keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boden likes this.
  13. Boden

Boden

Ok defianately. Thank you. Try your best to make him a hot rodder. There aren’t many more like me. I only know of one of my friends who likes this stuff. It will be sad to see it go for me.