Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Ken Kelsey

Ken Kelsey

Hello everyone I’m Ken and I’m a Jalopiholic. I like hotrods any kind am currently trying to build my 49 f1 I have a what I think is a 50 flathead that’s been bored and I have a mercury crank for it and I believe it’s a 8rt at least that’s what is on the heads it was probably rebuilt in the fifties as it is painted bluish green any thing to help would be appreciated

2. Hi Ken,

I don’t have any experience with flatheads , but I thought I could welcome you aboard.

However,,,you came to the right place,,,,there’s an unlimited amount of knowledge here.
    I am constantly amazed by the forgotten facts and machinery that these guys are familiar with.
    Just hang around,,,some one will help you soon.

Tommy

3. Welcome and also try the Ford Barn for the other stock info. The '49-'53 flatheads, dizzie sticking out the right side are pretty much all the same. If you drop the 4" Mercury crank into a Ford 8BA block, you can use the same rods, but have to get pistons suitable for the crank, cant use the 3 3/4" (crank) pistons with the 4". Stock rods are good for street use, planning the stock heads can raise the compression, aim for about 8 1/2 to 1 for the street. Much higher and you may have a hot running engine. Aluminum heads add more water volume and a cool look, but not so much for performance on the street. Update your profile with a location so we can send you to the right people.
    RB

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. belair

belair

welcome. have fun

5. Welcome Sir, hope you enjoy it here.

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Welcome to the HAMB

7. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Welcome. Search function is your friend, lots of info to weed through.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

What they all said above :)

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8rt heads are the lowest compression of all the factory heads available for the 49-53 flatheads. If you can, find a set of EAB Ford heads. They're not as flashy as aluminum heads but much better performance wise than the 8rt heads you have.

10. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Welcome to both the HAMB and a wealth of information. Enjoy your flathead!

11. leon bee

leon bee

I'm not clear on how much of your engine is done. But the very first issue is cracks in the block, some little ones are okay and some are not. Keep reading and you'll soon find a lot about cracks. If you're not already past that stage, block should be pressure tested and magnafluxed. With some effort, you can pressure test it yourself pretty well. Couple years ago I couldn't hardly even spell "flathead", now, what with this place and the Ford Barn, I know more about em than anybody else in my neighborhood.

Unique Rustorations likes this.