Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oil light is on (low pressure?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joseangel_1976, Aug 13, 2019.

1. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

What's up guys haven't been here in a while. I drove my 1962 cadillac to work today about 20 mins. I had filled it up the previous day with 2 quarts of oil because last time I almost ran out of oil and poured 2 quarts. So for a total of 4 quarts with filter. When I drove it back today i got home was about to park and noticed the 'OIL ' light was on. I didn't think it was low on oil since i didn't hear the 'clack' 'clack' sound. Wondering if this could just be the 'OIL ' sending unit that perhaps got full of oil, maybe the oil filter is clogged, or running on low oil? I do have blow by and i remember i replaced the oil sending unit bout 4 years ago, so maybe all that oil got to the sending unit and is causing a faulty light. Let me know [​IMG]

2. check oil.
    put known good test oil pressure gage in and see what the pressure actually is.

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Check the oil....

chopped likes this.
  4. I'm on my 3rd oil pressure transmitter, they all lit up when they felt like it.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If you regularly run the oil down low enough to starve the lifters , you've probably damaged the bearings .....

6. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

that's what i'm thinking. i've replaced it before. its' weird cause i see no leaks below the oil pan and i had just poured oil the previous day before. hmmm........

7. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

ughh i hope not it's happened twice cause the car does burn oil fast i do get a lot of blow by. i believe only one of the lifters was running on low pressure

8. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

will do i'm gonna buy one just to make sure. thanks guys really appreciate it

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

Does the motor have a dipstick?????:rolleyes:

10. jazz1

jazz1

I have Dolphin gauges. The oil sending units are inaccurate. Ordered a new one, more junk. I put in a live oil gauge from Napa for peace of mind.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4 quarts with a filter change results in you being a quart low from the start.

12. Mimilan

Mimilan

Do the old "Car Dealer" trick.
    Adapt a VW Beetle oil sender unit, it doesn't 'kick in" unless it goes below 4psi :D

Loose clearances need high volume, Tight clearances require high pressure

13. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

yea it does have one but it's inaccurate. and it's the original dipstick that's why i find it ridiculous to keep track of how much oil i have. it does burn it every 150-200 miles.

gordy80128 likes this.
  14. I had an electric oil pressure gauge in my '40 and didn't trust the readings. I put a mechanical gauge in ( Stewart Warner) and what a difference. The readings were very different. I trust the mechanical gauge.

Deuces likes this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't run Valvoline

16. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

i usually put penzoil or last time i put rotella 15/40 for thickness and zinc but this time around i had castrol 10 /30

17. Care to expound?

Ben

egads likes this.
  18. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you are going through that much oil, why not fix it right?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Put a couple of quarts of Lucas in it. It will slow the oil usage down.

20. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After you have fitted a mechanical gauge to double check. It may be time to consider giving the engine a birthday overhaul .
    If you are not doing a great impression of a James Bond smoke screen, then the oil is escaping somewhere else.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  21. You do have a dip stick don't you?

Ever wonder why they call them idiot lights, I would think your probably low on oil. HRP

57JoeFoMoPar and Deuces like this.
  22. Old worn out engine. adding different brands of engine oils. plus motor honey. I ought too have some really amazing sludge. You probably have clogged the screen on the oil pump. and probably scorched the bearings. M farmall sludge 003.JPG You need a rebuild. park it until you can properly fix it.

tb33anda3rd and Deuces like this.
  23. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Change the oil and filter. Put in 5 quarts of oil with the new filter. Mark the dipstick so in the future you will know if it is low. If it's using that much oil, check it every time you drive it.

24. lake_harley

lake_harley

Well, my opinion of Valvoline is apparently quite different from yours. My OT Tahoe daily driver has 347,000+ miles on it, has never had a problem and oil useage in 3000-4,000 miles is under 1/2 Qt.. Oh....for the record, I use Fram filters too. That ought to make many here on the HAMB shudder! :eek:

Lynn

25. If the car is using that much oil you should see a cloud of smoke behind you. HRP

Deuces likes this.
  26. We used Valvoline for decades in our gas engines. then they removed the ZINC so now everything gets 15W 40 Rotellat. You OT likely has a roller cam and fuel injection. that makes the engine last longer.

Deuces likes this.
  27. Yes,,,,I wonder about the Valvoline post. I have used it exclusively since new in1994 in my daily driver truck. It is an OT brand,,,and yes I have exclusively used Fram filters.
    514,000 miles at this time. Also,,,,my wife’s car,,,,345,000 miles,,,,my daughters car,,,320,000 miles. Same brand oil and same brand filters. I understand that some people probably have a different testimony than mine. But,,, I have never suffered a bearing failure and hardly have any oil usage between oil changes . Maybe I have just been lucky!!!

lake_harley and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  28. Also,,,I am with Hotrodprimer on this. There should be an awesome cloud of oil vapors behind this machine going down the highway!!! 2 quarts every 100-200 miles? Man that is something.

Deuces likes this.
  29. killbilly

killbilly

Whatever you do...don't run it out of oil....see my signature line....

Deuces likes this.