Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Class Glass Fiberglass Body - Anyone Have One?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, Aug 13, 2019.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm considering building a '27 T roadster, hopefully somewhat styled like Pete Chapouris' '27 T pictured below.

In looking at various '27 Roadster fiberglass bodies it seems to me that Class Glass Performance in Cumberland MD builds a roadster body that's very nice. http://www.classglassperformance.com/27 Ford.html I wonder if anyone here, or someone you know has used one of their bodies. I'd be interested to hear opinions and likes/dislikes about bodies they build. I talked to them on the phone and the person I talked to was very helpful and willing to answer my questions. I would love to see one in person but they just build them when an order is placed. I'd drive out to MD to see one if they happened to have one finished but with good reviews I'd maybe order one sight unseen.

Here's a few things that I like about the '27 they build. I like that it actually has "overlapping" door jams rather than just a straight cut door opening as is generally done on T bodies that I've seen. It also has a lip for the deck lid to close against that might be able to be weatherstripped to keep water out of the trunk, and an inner deck lid panel to stiffen the lid. The firewall appears to be shaped relatively stock T looking rather than just a flat firewall. All in all, it looks like they make a very nice '27 roadster body that would end up looking a lot more like a steel T body than other 'glass replicas I've seen.

So.....anyone have experience with Class Glass? I'd appreciate hearing what you think!

Lynn

3.jpg 8.jpg 0605kc_13_z-1926_ford_track_t-.jpg

2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Check out the Zipper body. Mine is 20 years old and reinforced with 1” square tubing.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No experience with them and actually that is the first time I have seen anything about them. Half the price of a Wescott 26 roadster body which is top of the line as far as glass bodies go. http://www.wescottsauto.com/WebCatalog/B-Body/1926-27RoadsterBody.pdf
    When it comes to something like that I want to see the unit myself before I buy. 'd find out of they were going to be at a show or swap meet if I did buy one. Most outfits have show prices and if you are brave enough to wait until Sunday afternoon quite often the buy it so I don't have to load it back in the trailer price comes into effect.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As much as I like those Zipper bodies and the cars I don't believe they make one with the Turtle deck he wants to build the roadster he wants the way he wants it.

5. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

My '27 is a Class Glass body. It has been on the road now for about 7 years. Still in very good shape. No cracks. Unless they have changed their bodies, the doors do not overlap. They fit inside the door opening. It took minimal bodywork before paint. I bought the 3" wide version. That 3" makes a lot more room inside. I'm pretty happy with it. IMG_0002.JPG

chop job, AHotRod and lake_harley like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

How much is an original steel body? It probably won't be paint ready, but it would be real.

I've been collecting body parts for open 26-7 T's for quite a while now. I usually buy the best I can afford, which is not much. My projects will require a lot of patch panels, but if I stepped up and bought a better quality of sheetmetal I'm sure I could put a solid roadster body together for close to the price of that glass one.

7. lake_harley

lake_harley

alchemy, I get what you're saying. Actually, a friend of mine has a nice '27 roadster body with turtledeck, but missing the deck lid. He's priced it to me for about the same price as the Class Glass body. The deck lid is available re-pop for about $450, so I'd be in it a little deeper and still have to do some body work. No doubt, a steel body would be great but I'm not much on body work. Never really did any and don't really care to mess up a old Henry body learning. I do consider myself a good mechanic and fabricator though.

jaw22w.....if you haven't already looked at the link to Class Glass please take a look at the photos of the door and door jam to compare with your body. I don't know exactly how to describe what I see in the photos but to me, if looking from above, it appears to have somewhat a "Z" shape to it that the door actually fits into the jam and the reveal of the door closes against the body or a recessed flat area. Most times the doors on T's are just a straight cut through the interior wood reinforcement and when viewed directly in line with the cut you can see straight through the door jam area. The fellow I talked with at Class Glass about the door jam question described what I'll call the "zig-zag" door jam that mimics a steel '27 body as I remember them.

Thanks for all the replies!

Lynn

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Hnstray likes this.
  8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yes, the structure you described is there. I just didn't understand your first description.

9. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I see their products each year at the Western Md Street Rod Round-Up. they look pretty good to me. maybe someone from W. Md will chime in and give a local opinion. I can check them out On Labor Day weekend at the Round-up.

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Lynn …. you couldn't have chosen a cooler roadster as inspiration or to copy than Pete's, he did that car right-on.
    I looked at the link you provided and that roadster looks like a very well built. I home-built my fiberglass Coupe body over 30 years ago from scratch, and to this day I've never had to deal with rust :)
    Just do it and enjoy the fun.
    Keep us posted when you get started.

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

jaw22w....Thanks for checking the door jambs of your roadster and getting back with me. Glad to hear it's put together like I thought, with "real" door jambs.

mr. Chevrolet....If you see Class Glass at the Round-Up I'd appreciate if you could take a few minutes to check out their products once again. When I talked with them last week they didn't have a '27 body done and didn't have any scheduled. If they had one I would have likely used it as excuse for a rod trip. Who knows, maybe I'll put your signature line, "money's no good unless you spend it", into play. :D

AHotRod....you're right about Pete's '27. In my opinion he knocked it outa the park when he built that one.

Thanks again, everyone, for the info and input.

Lynn

Hnstray and AHotRod like this.
  12. The Pete Chapouris' '27 T is one of my favorite T's. The body you posted the link to does appear to have stock style doors that overlap. My T has a Poliform body, and it's been done since 1994, no cracks. That being said, I don't think they are in business any more. You're smart to get one with opening doors and trunk, mine is one piece and as I get older it's a bitch to get into and out of. Without a trunk you can't take anything with you. Here's a picture of mine. 67877361_2228652324112538_8106388344679694336_n.jpg

a boner, Hnstray and lake_harley like this.
  13. a boner likes this.
  14. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks for the photo of your '27. Are those fiberglass panels on the sides, under the body? If yes, did you make them yourself or were they available from Poliform? I saw a Speedway Track T at Louisville that had similar looking panels and in their catalog it looked like they were part of their kit. Didn't see them offered separately though.

I'll have to look again at more details about Pete's '27, but if I'm not mistaken the body isn't channeled on it so it would definitely have more interior room than a channeled car. The side panels give it such a finished, low look while still preserving precious interior room.

Lynn

15. The side panels on mine is actually the frame. I made the frame. Also take a look at the Wescott body, it has the correct body line where the turtle deck meets the body. Every other T body I've seen, including mine, has that line ending under the door, which isn't correct. You probably don't care about that, I don't care about it either. The Chapouris T isn't channeled, I don't remember if his panels are the frame, or custom made covers. I've seen the car in person, and it's really a neat car. It was in some magazines, but I don't remember which one's. Probably Street Rodder mag from back in the late 70's early 80's.

Hnstray and AHotRod like this.
  16. rooman

rooman

I don't know about their "T" bodies but I can vouch for the quality of Class Glass's race car bodies as they have done a couple of Fiat bodies for me.

Roo

AHotRod and lake_harley like this.
  17. lake_harley

lake_harley

Fat ASS Whitewalls.....I had not noticed the subtle difference about the body line but now I see what you mean about the body/turtle deck area. I agree though, it's probably not a deal breaker. The Wescott body has some very nice features but by comparison, especially on cost, I think the Class Glass body is a good bang for the buck.

rooman....thanks for the comment on the good quality of the Class Glass bodies you've used. Nothing speaks louder than a satisfied customer.

Lynn

18. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I'll check when I'm there.

19. belair

belair

Pete's car Is perfect. Never wanted one till I saw that one.

20. lake_harley

lake_harley

Still agonizing on what I want. Another car of interest is a 28/29 Model A roadster. I really liked the simple and classy 28/29 roadster on display a Louisville that was built by Lil' John Buterra. Since steel A bodies aren't around every corner, and a Brookville body is quite expensive I've looked for fiberglass 28/29 roadster bodies. The only 'glass A roadster I've found is one from Spirit who says it their version of a 28/29 roadster. Even though it's been pointed out that many 26/27 roadsters aren't correct, I'd really like to know a body is at least close to the real deal.

Anyone know of any other 28/29 body options?

Lynn

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  21. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

just back from the RoundUp. had a good conversation with the owner, checked out the body. was impressed. i don't think you will be disappointed. also saw another car running around with the same T body, owner had nothing but good things to say.

loudbang likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can vouch for that!

20181209_235305.jpg

23. blazedogs

blazedogs

Is it steel reinforced

24. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i THINK he said steel re-inforced at the door hinges

25. lake_harley

lake_harley

mr.chevrolet.....thanks for checking in with Class Glass bodies and reporting your findings. I appreciate your efforts! My '27 roadster plans will likely have to wait for another day. At the Frog Follies I bought a '33 Willys 'glass body with chassis.

As I look at it and try to develop a plan I realize I have gotten myself into some deep water. Adding windows to a 'glass car just adds a lot of complexity to a project as far as I can see. Months from now I might be wishing I had jumped into a '27 roadster build like I had in mind, and decided I was too far into it to change course. IF, and that's a big IF, I can pull off doing a decent job on the '33 Willys though, I do think it'll be a cool and "something different" car. No, it won't be built nostalgia gasser style.

Lynn

26. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

That's what happens when you got the Hot Rod fever and $$$$$ burning a hole in your pocket!:cool:

27. lake_harley

lake_harley

Yeah, I guess. It doesn't help to have a friend along at a swap meet saying, "This is THE car for you to be building....it's YOU!" Trouble is I think I believe him.;)

Lynn