Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 9 inch calipers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym_46, Aug 13, 2019.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Any Ford nine inch gurus on here. I need some
    identification assistance. I have an unknown sourced Ford nine inch rear end under my Studebaker pick up. It has disc brakes and looks to have had coil springs before it was adapted to leaf set up. One of my calipers is leaking fluid. Where should I look for numbers to either ID the source car and year, or on the caliper to get a part number. Quick look says the caliper is likely an aftermarket caliper not a genuine fomoco item.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My chrystal ball says based on the supplied information.............it's anybodys guess.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Gonna guess........ Lincoln Versailles if it's 9" factory (and has parking brake).

4. If it had coils on it originally, it isn't a Lincoln Versailles...

5. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Versailles had leaf springs and 4-1/2" bolt pattern. Small car width . Mark and Continental were coil spring with 5" pattern, big car width. 72-77 the Mark had triangulated 4 link, the Continental had parallel 3 link with panhard. 78-79 both were on the smaller Mark chassis. The early 70's Continentals may have a 9-3/8" rear.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Really..? Shouldn't be that difficult to get under the truck and look.
    IF...it's got aftermarket calipers, they WILL have the name on them, both front and most likely the back side..! And most likely be made of aluminum. I don't know of any after market manufacturers making "new" calipers out of cast iron.

Sounds like just rebuilding them is the easiest fix.
    Measure twice, buy once..!

Mike

7. X-cpe

X-cpe

I've got a '70's Mark (?) 9" under my '57 PU. The E-brake is a cable operated ratchet on the caliper piston. The venting in the rotor is directional.

8. Deuces

Deuces