Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turn signal woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Aug 11, 2019.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Hi all, I'm working on one of my off topic toys. However, this tech carries over. Its old, but doesn't meet HAMB criteria.

I am having issues with my directionals and hazard lights. Whats going on is that i have a very dim and slow light when flashing. The tail lights works fine and when brakes are applied they are nice and bright. Its just lacking power from the switch it seems. I should note that stop and turn share the same bulbs.

Here's the kicker. When i stab a test light into the turn signal wire everything works as it should...

I've replaced both the turn and hazard switch. Checked power at the flashers.

Dont know where to go from here...

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Could be a ground problem. Check for tight and clean ground/s.

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I'm going through and checking all the grounds at the lights. They all look good, and like i said the stop and tail work great...

Is there some secret ground going to the signal switch I'm not seeing?

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

5. Yeah, I'd try another flasher. The test light is increasing the load which will make the flasher 'work harder'.

You might look at an electronic flasher. They're not load-sensitive like the bi-metal ones are.