Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hit the horn and get a shock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, Aug 8, 2019.

1. oj

oj

This is a puzzle, been a year and nobody has figured it out. I made this horn assembly for a Tiger last year, the owner wanted this steering wheel but there was no provision for a horn because it has a telescoping steering column. So I made this paddle assembly, it makes ground just like the original. Except you toot the horn and it'll give you a little zinger! Shelby had the ground going direct to the horn so I added a relay, the horn paddle ground triggers the relay and isolates the horn. You still gte a zinger. Car is not running, key in 'Off' position.
    I have the car back in the shop for a couple days, anybody care to make a suggestion or a theory, I'll twist the wrenches and provide pictures.
    Here's the problem child:
    005.JPG
    Thanks, Oj

2. B052639B-DF6A-4459-8174-E1A45D165E93.jpeg I can’t add a thing constructive....

3. squirrel

squirrel

maybe if you could take some close up pics from different angles, we could have some idea of what's going on?

4. Try this... untitled.png most coils on small relays already have an internal diode, but yours may not.
    The 1N4148 is a common part. It is connected reverse-biased .

squirrel and chevy57dude like this.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Steering column may not be grounded 'securely'. You are completing the circuit when depressing the metal paddle.
    GREAT design, BTW. Good idea. Check the ground on the column with a digital volt meter, if it shows voltage...well, there you are.

@36roadster has a strong point, interesting.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  6. oj

oj

61cad likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2019-8-8_17-51-7.png
    Charge him $80 and tell him to stop honking at pretty girls, that's why God made us able to whistle.

61cad and bonneville bones like this.
  8. tim troutman

tim troutman

I had the pushin starter push in button in my 40 dash shock the crap out of me . wife thought it was hilarious . soldered a wire to it screwed it to the dash

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Wear rubber gloves when you hit the horn. You are the ground when you hit the horn button.