Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Update to my 727 Torqueflite saga

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Aug 7, 2019.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

On a much happier report than my "WONDERING IF THIS IS HAPPENING IN ANY OTHER PART OF THE USA & WORLD ??" post............my 34 is again running and the rebuilt trans is working, (at least on jack stands in the garage). That happened yesterday after noon.
    However we had the engine once again running over the week end and it had a new intake gasket leaking.:eek: I ordered new from Summit late that night. So Jim stopped in to give a hand in removing the intake and we found the gaskets, (again ordered from Summit weren't the right ones, ((not their fault)), so that means those coming in today won't be right either.:eek: So we went to our local speed shop for the correct ones and was told what I need is not made any more,:eek: and then I recalled I had made the first set that was on the Hemi. I have in my stock a large amount of new gaskets for the engine and did find a set that worked, bought along time ago, so we used those, and presto most-oh engine ran good, first time running trans turns the tires in all gears on the jack stands with (6) qts. of fluid, (3 more to add yet).:):D Now to reinstall the insulation, carpet, and seats, get it off the stands and get it on the road. I'm going to give a much more detailed explanation of the problem with the intake gasket:confused: on another post asking a question of the knowledgeable Hemi guys later.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Did you make a pattern of the gaskets?

4. 34Larry

34Larry

Good question. Answer is no as the first time I had the intake off was in about 2000 and found, the issue and as an old pattern maker it is easy for me to do .

5. 34Larry

34Larry

Well changing my reply after going through all my many gaskets where I came across a removed/good pair from the past. So I do have a pattern, yes.

6. dwollam

dwollam

Was the Hemi an early 331 by chance? When I went to put my intake gaskets on my '52 331 they were huge compared to the originals. Quick research shows they "fit" 331-392, one size fits all. Hope they seal for awhile, at least until I change the heads and intake to the larger '54 ones. I did use black gasket maker to help the issue.

Dave

7. 34Larry

34Larry

Mine is a'55.

8. 34Larry

34Larry

Update. Seats are back in, they are 90's Mustang power bucket, and bolted in and it takes two to tango with them and it gets difficult even then. Adjustment made to neutral safety switch so it starts in neutral not 3rd, insulation/sound deadener installed, carpet is almost done. It should be on the floor and out the door this week end. It is on jack stands and I have tested my newly rebuilt 727 torqueflite though all gears and it does good at least on the stands.
    Will update when it is back on the street putting an end to this saga, I hope.:)

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  9. 34Larry

34Larry

Last update.
    My 34 left the garage this morning with its newly rebuilt 727 torqueflite. Put a couple of miles on it and it works so damned well, I am very pleased. I followed instructions of many of you guys on what to do, and not do, like not pulling away in 3rd. What an education in this transmission many of you euducated on. I profusely thank you for your help.
    I got into it briefly in first with the two new Edlebrock AVS dual (4 bbl.0 carbs, shifting to second then 1st. Shifting is smooth with a small "chirp" going into 2nd and into 3rd, (no chirp going into 3rd though.) It has never been so fast as it is now, got to be pretty careful with it. Got a home town show on the 24th of this month that I haven't missed in recent times. I'm not into shows for trophy's but it has been sent home the last two years from this show with the trophy, "Extreme Power award."
    Well once again its difficult to thank you guys that helped me along the way you really are first cabin.

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Congratulations!