Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods flathead dodge transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PIECRUST&RUST, Aug 4, 2019.

1. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

I have a 1950 Dodge coronet with fluid drive (not the gyromatic). The fluid drive unit leaks pretty bad and its hard to find anybody to repair it. I've been trying to decide which why to go to eliminate the fluid drive so I don't have to worry about it anymore. I've considered the turbo 350 adapter from wilcap but I really like having the 3 on the tree too. I happen to have a 3 speed out of a plymouth, if I can get a plymouth bell housing will it bolt right in with my dodge? I realize the support may have to be moved forward some. Any help appreciated, thanks

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, I have some experience with that era Mopars and perhaps can offer some suggestions. I have converted two Dodges, one a ‘49, the other a ‘51, to full manual shift systems. The ‘49 was a Fluid Drive, the ‘51 a Gyro-Matic. All Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler Sixes (and Straight 8) use the same long bell housing, no matter which semi-automatic they are equipped with. The Dodge and DeSoto V8’s through ‘54 also use a long bell housing of the same length for all transmission options.

What I used For those two conversions were transmissions from '53/'54 Dodge (‘52/‘54 Desoto same as Dodge) full manual shift cars, either six or V8 will work. These specific full manual shift models have only a flywheel and clutch, no fluid coupling, and the trans input shaft is much longer as a consequence.

In addition to the transmission you need the manual shift flywheel, clutch assembly and throw out bearing carrier. With these parts, you can use the original bell housing, clutch release arm and linkage, shift linkage and driveshaft.....easy conversion. Only fly in this ointment is these full manual transmissions with that long input shaft (and related parts) were never plentiful and when I did the ‘49 car in 1962 and the ‘51 in the late ‘80s they were already somewhat scarce.

Plan B.....you idea of using more readily available Plymouth bits is doable and you are correct that relocating the rear engine support cross member will be necessary. I seem to recall a difference between the Plymouth and Dodge flywheel to crankshaft bolt count that might be an issue. Also, you will need a longer driveshaft. I do not know if Plymouth clutch and shift linkages will work as is on the Dodge, but they are very similar in design, but differ in lengths, so there is a good chance they can be fitted.

In both conversions I mentioned above, I installed a different than original engine. I used a ‘53 Plymouth six (with the Dodge long bell housing) in the ‘49 Dodge and a ‘54 Chrysler six in the ‘51 Dodge. Since you are presumably using the engine original to your Dodge, you’ll want to determine if there is a fluid circulation path between the engine oil supply and the fluid coupling. I don’t think that is the case on Dodges, but was with the Plymouth Hy-Drive in ‘53/‘54. If there is, obviously that needs to be plugged, blocked, etc. on a full manual shift system.

Plan C.....There are adapters from various sources for automatic trans conversions. Also for T-5 manual trans.

Best wishes.....

Ray

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    302GMC and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

You need to ask your question to the d15 p24 mopar site. They will steer you in the right direction.

4. hkestes

hkestes

I have a 57 model Plymouth bellhousing off a 230 flathead you can have if you want to pay shipping or have a way to get it from the Dallas, TX area to you. Just let me know.

Hnstray likes this.