Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical LED Bulb for Vintique 1932 Ford w Halogens

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by glennpm, Aug 4, 2019.

1. glennpm

glennpm

Hi,

I have a set of Vintique headlights on my 1932 Ford. They have a 9007 HB5 quartz halogen bulb in them. The amperage is a little too high for my 12V converted three pole generator so I'm looking into replacing the bulbs with LEDs and hope someone has had good success doing this. What about a good brand and ones to stay away from due to quality or bad focus.

The LEDs I'm considering are the type with a heat sink on the back and no fan like these types:
    https://sealight-led.com/products/s...d-headlight-bulbs-no-fan-no-noise-6000k-white
    https://www.hidnation.com/collections/9007-led-kits/products/9007-led-conversion-kit

Thanks

2. bangerbob

bangerbob

Look at logolites.com. I got them for my hotrod, wow tapatalk_jpeg_1550177667900.jpg

Sent from my SM-J337P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. glennpm

glennpm

Attached Files:

4. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

LED conversions of headlights may not work out very well, the light source isn't in exactly the same position and doesn't emit light in the same directions. You may find that while you get a lot of light, it doesn't end up where you need it, and worse, it may blind oncoming traffic.

Have you looked into saving a few watts somewhere else? Taillights work much better converted as they don't have to throw light in a very specific direction, same with instrument lighting.

5. glennpm

glennpm

Thanks for the comments. I've already converted my tailights to LEDs and real happy with them. I still have 1157s for turn signals in the headlight buckets so will probably convert them too.

Yes I'm concerned about the light focus too. The claim the manufacturer make of the Sealights claim that they focus well but wanted to find someone who has really used them in an early Ford headlight bucket, i.e Model A or 32 with the smaller buckets.

G-son likes this.
  6. glennpm

glennpm

The other related question about LED headlights, do they work with reflector type headlamps at all? I did a bunch of Googling and couldn't find anything conclusive regarding reflector types. Projector type headlights are what the new cars use with LEDs.

Glenn

7. Fogger

Fogger

If you're happy with the light pattern that the halogens give you a simple solution is to use relays for the headlight circuit. Google headlight relays or check out Mad Industries web site. Mark Hamilton sells a relay kit and/or the circuit. I run relays on all my cars with halogen headlights. I agree with G-son that the light pattern with LEDs in your reflectors may not give you the desired pattern.

8. Ummm....it still requires the same amperage to run the bulbs whether they have relays or not...it’s just routed differently.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

ClayMart and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  9. glennpm

glennpm

Yes 57 Fargo, all the relays would do, with larger gauge wire, is insure less voltage drop to the bulb.

I'm interested in LEDs to decrease the amperage required for the headlight bulbs. I do not want to change my generator to an alternator either.

10. Yup I got that

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. glennpm

glennpm

Hi,
    I bought and installed the Sealight HB5 9007 LEDs in place of my quartz halogens Saturday. Great light and cut off. No flicker and instant high/Low light change without delay. I checked them within my garage for the cutoff. I don't drive the 32 at night but will give it a try. I wanted them for daytime visibility and less amperage than the quartz. Amperage is now very good with my generator amp gauge value. In daylight, I parked and walked about 200' away and then back to car. No bad light in my eyes and very visible.

The instructions included were lacking but found a video online after the fact.
    https%3A%2F%2Fd2y5sgsy8bbmb8.cloudfront.net%2F96dd950b-5527-4c2a-9849-903daac12174%2Fdefault.jobtemplate.mp4.480.mp4.mp4

Glad I made the switch to LEDs.