Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6v Fleetline starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4lsracing, Aug 4, 2019.

1. 4lsracing

4lsracing

I am new here.. Been lurking for a long time reading archives for helpful information. Now I have a problem I need help with. My son's starter jammed the starter gear so hard it locked the engine. I have the starter off. No damage to the ring gear but I can't find a starter or parts to fix it. It is a 49 Fleetline with a 55 235 in it. We are using the 216 flywheel and 6 volt starter. Any idea where I can have the starter rebuilt or find parts or get a rebuilt starter? The thrust washer is wore down and the starter gear is shot from slamming into the ring gear. Have searched the net and seems 6v starters are very hard to find and sold out when I find place that had them.

2. ems customer service

ems customer service

southeastern starter in baxley ga.

3. squirrel

squirrel

here's a used one...don't know where you are, it may cost a lot to ship it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202264414724?

There are probably some laying around in some guy's yard, near where you are, that you'll have no way of knowing the existence of. It's a tough game, finding old car parts.

(there is a place on your profile where you can enter your location, to make it easier for folks nearby to know they're nearby, and offer help)

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@4lsracing I have one freshly rebuilt by a local well respected shop that fits '37/'54 6 volt. I am not going to be using it afterall. That is the good news. The bad news is, it uses the foot pedal style engagement, not the solenoid that your '49 Fleetline utilizes. Too bad for both of us........

Ray

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019